allergies and eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, StephanieJae, Marcie Mom, Koh Ming Shao, AnnaB

Re: severe allergic reation to dustmites/???

Postby ItinerantChild on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:05 pm

There are three bits of equipment you may find helpful. The first is Raycop anti-bacteriial vacuum/mattress cleaner. It emits an ultra-violet light which kills the majority of dustmites in your mattress, pillows, soft toys, sofa custions etc. It then vacuums them up. However I find the vacuum part of the deal isn't very powerful so I vacuum with the Miele Allervac. The third piece of equipment is the Samsung Virus Doctor. Google it! It is not yet available in the UK but you can get them in the Far East and North Africa. This is a stylish bit of kits that sits in the room and, theoretically, within 20 minutes of operation it will kill 99.9% of every virus present in an average sized room. Every Flu virus, Cold virus, MRSI, SAR’s, dust-mite – every air-borne virus will be turned into harmless water vapour. It also takes away odours of all kind. My GP has one sitting in his surgery. I want one!
ItinerantChild

Postby minime001 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Dust is irritable and whatever is in it :| BUT, I would suggest you take a look at artificial fragrances first. I've cut them out totally, and I am now all clear from Eczema. My skin has never felt or looked this good! However, I still have problems with perfumes. I rash up with my old ones, so I had to chuck them all away. I now only use natural and organic perfumes, the ones that are based on pure essential oils not reliant on synthetic chemicals that can have over 200 different chemicals in a perfume. Seriously, take a look at all your products and see how many products contain fragrance - that little word contains up to 200 chemicals!! No wonder we're having problems ie. Allergies on the increase :cry:
minime001

Postby RosyHannah on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:54 pm

It is so tricky to avoid chemicals these days! While I do not suffer from severe allergies I cannot use any harsh chemicals on my hands without developing dermatitis. Can you recommend any household cleaners which are safer for skin?

Thanks in advance,

Rosy
RosyHannah

Postby Marcie Mom on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:51 am

Hi,

Some ingredients in cleaners that irritate skin are sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, linalool and sodium flouride. So, may want to look for one that does not have these.. but I think it's quite hard to find.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/category/member-bloggers/meis-blog/
Marcie Mom

Postby ItchyGal on Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:33 am

Yep. Severe dust mite allergy over here!

My immunotherapist recommends:
Getting rid of all carpet. Check.
Wet dusting once a week. Check.
Putting a dust mite resistant cover on bed pillows and mattress. Check.
Using a HEPA air filter. Check.
Vacuuming with a HEPA vacuum cleaner once a week. Not checked. Just using normal vacuum.
Reducing 'fluff' by getting rid of fluffy cushions, rugs and blankets etc. Check.
Wash bedding once a week in hot water. Check.

And with all of the above done, is my eczema any better? A little :)
ItchyGal

Postby Laureline on Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:08 pm

My son has an allergy to dust mites. I fought for a blood test to confirm this as I was adamant that his eczema was caused by an allergy and was proved correct.
He went from being a very upset little boy who looked like he had been scrubbed all over with sandpaper...to a happy go lucky chap with very much clearer skin.

I damp dust once a week. I have an Allergy UK approved vacum cleaner. I vacum his mattress regularly (still trying to get hold of the mattress protector that zips up the entire mattress). His bedding is washed at high temperature and tumble dried as well.

I also do my best to limit his exposure to parabens. Great since more mainstream cosmetics are removing them from products - you will notice more and more shampoos and shower gels for example are displaying 0% parabens! But this isn't the same for food or make up. So as far as sanely possible I keep his meals to real food, not pre-packed, highly processed stuff. Its not always managable and he also needs to learn what his triggers are but the difference in his skin when these things are done on top of any household stuff is amazing.

He uses ZERO creams. Every now and again he will use the childs farm cream. But the above keeps his skin from itching and the wee man very happy.
Laureline

Previous