Flavourings etc in Heinz soups

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
Nickwildman

by Nickwildman on Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:42 pm

Flavourings etc in Heinz soups

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so please bear with me! I have quite a specific question I'd like to get your opinion on. I have found that the main problem with my eczema is reactions to certain foods, particularly things containing lots of preservatives, colourings, E numbers and flavourings etc.

As part of my effort to lose a bit of weight and eat more healthily at work, I have been taking some Heinz soups into work for lunch using a thermos but I suspect I am reacting to the soups as I notice red patches and itching on my inner elbows and my neck and shoulders after eating them. I checked the ingredients and the only problem areas I could spot in most of them is "flavourings" but it doesn't say if they are natural or artificial.

Has anyone else noticed a similar problem in reacting to Heinz soups? If so, does anyone have any recommendations of soup brands that would be more eczema-sensitive?

Thanks everyone!

Nick

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:09 am

Re: Flavourings etc in Heinz soups

Hi! I've read that artificial flavouring in soup is linked to intolerance (MSG is well documented) and also possibly linked to skin rash. The safest is to prepare your own soup; my family takes the Heinz chicken stock ok but we don't try other types of Heinz soup. Slow cooking is a good choice - easy to prepare, only thing is the pot needs some cleaning!

Take care!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

Nickwildman

by Nickwildman on Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:06 pm

Re: Flavourings etc in Heinz soups

Hi Mei,

Thank you for your reply, it's a relief to find the culprit for my flareups!

I have had a look online and found a company called Amy's Kitchen which seems to do soups free to preservatives, flavouring, colours etc so I will give that a go.

I had thought about the option of making my own soup but the drawback would be I'd need to make a bulk, freeze it then have the same flavour every day for a week so hopefully the Amy's Kitchen option will work out so I can have a bit of variety. If this fails I will definitely take your advice of making my own. I have seen some devices on Amazon which essentially blends and cooks the ingredients into a soup so I may invest in one!

Thanks again for your help,

Nick

3 posts