Antihistamines - Do They Work?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

6 posts
fionaand

by fionaand on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Antihistamines - Do They Work?

I've had eczema for years on my hands. when i was younger the doctor prescribed bentnovate steroid cream for me.
i used this for years and foolishly the doctor put it on a repeat prescription for me and never warned us of the problems it could cause. please nobody else use steroid creams for a long time. it thins your skin and never really solves the problems of eczema. every winter i always get eczema on my hands and wrists but this year it seems to have gone up my arms as far as my elbows. i have tried all sorts of moisturisers, bath washes and body scrubs to help with this. it has calmed down a lot but is still quite red and itchy. would anyone know if antihistamines are able to clear up ezcema or do they just help you get a good nights sleep. this moisturiser i'm using at the moment is from boots called sanctuary and it does seem to help a bit if this is any use to anyone else out there.

thanks for reading this message.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:36 pm

Re: do antihistamines work

My son takes Cetirizine daily to dampen down his face flares it does not make him sleepy. Both my children take Piriton if in a bad itchy flare plus the little help to sleep is useful. They help by breaking the scratch itch cycle.

Have you ever tried rotating steroid to Elocon or Cutivate? The body gets used to the same steroid and they become less effective. Also there are Elidel and Protopic to think about, these are not steroids and do not thin the skin. Both work well on my children, just have to take extra protection from the sun!!!

Have you had patch tests carried out to see if there is anything to which you are in contact that you are allergic to? A friends son has just tested positive to propolis which is wax in crayons and cleaning stuff and kids sweets. Well worth finding out. My son was clear and my daughter is being tested in 2 weeks. You never know you may be allergic to the creams your using
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

asianwriter

by asianwriter on Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi, ive just been prescribed elecon. is it a steriod cream and does it actually work?

thanks.

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:22 pm

Yes it is a strong steroid. It works well. Good luck
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

mossol1960

by mossol1960 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:16 pm

yes anti histamines do work
i have had eczema all my life and tried al different things recently i started using neoclarytin (only available on prescription) and they have made a big difference also ask your doctor for double base emolient. Not only does it relieve the itching it also makes the skin feel cooler
my skin has never been so soft
good luck and i hope you find this useful

Sammie

by Sammie on Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:42 pm

I have had hand and foot eczema for 20 years. I have not had an outbreak for many years now.
I think in any case it is worth while having patch tests. If your G>P does not refer you, INSIST or visit another G.P.
I have used a number of steroids over the years, and like you, I am left with thin and scared skin.
I am as a result of using steroids, hypersensitive. I have outbreaks if I applt, double base, bipro base, vaseline, E45 cream.....well, pretty much everything.
I have found that I am only able to use Simple products. This is not the same for everyone, and I think you need to find what is right for you.
As for antihistamines...I don't agree whith those either, it's still not finding the cause, but mearly covering the symptoms.
I have found redness and itching is usually worse when there is an infection. And it does not matter how clean you keep your skin, you will almost always get an infection.
I do not approve of steriods but found betnovate c would bring rapid results...well, until you stop applying the cream that is....
I wish you well...x

6 posts