Ingredient Finder

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
Gary37

by Gary37 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:13 pm

Ingredient Finder

Hi everyone, as an eczema suffer I find the old "could be worse" approach works best for me coping but now my daughter has it I need to make more of an effort for her. She's just turned 8 and has mild atopic eczema on her chin and folds of her arms, also random patches on her torso. It's great that it doesn't bother her and doesn't restict her in any way and hope this doesn't ever change. Whilst trialing various perscribed and otc creams it became apparent that she was reacting to some of the creams. After trawling through the ingredients of the numerous creams(10+) we found a common denominater (Cetostearyl alcohol) it isn't in nivea or the other cream which didn't irritated her. I thought wouldn't it be great if someone with the skills could design a program that allows you to enter a cream/drugs name and have it tell you if it contains an ingredient that you have highlited as a problem. It may also show the creams that don't contain it from a database of creams or if you enter numerous cream it may highlight common denominators so as to see what it is irratating yourself. Did that make any sense?????????
Any thoughts, I'm aware there would be a lot of work involved in starting the Database but maybe this could be a task for forum volanteers.
Look forward to her your views
Cheers Gary

sf34_22

by sf34_22 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:16 pm

Re: Ingredient Finder

Gary there is a site called wrong diagnosis which I will trawl when I have more time as there may be something like you have suggested on there.

Good idea of yours, it would help so many.

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:14 am

Gary - I like your idea. We have lots of ideas and initiatives we have rolled out and want to roll out in the future. Something like an Ingredient Finder would be fantastic. As you say, it wouldn't be cheap to do ..... but it's a great idea. I have lots of contacts within the industry, particularly with pharmaceutical companies. It's just a thought, and would take time to secure, but I could start looking for some sponsorship/educational funding to compile such a function and we could host it on our site. I'm not making any promises as funding these days is hard to come by. But, let's call it a work in progress .... what do you think?

Deborah Mason
Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

Gary37

by Gary37 on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 pm

That sounds fantastic, I have trawled the web but couldn't find anything like this available, so hopefully if you become the first to offers this it would give your site some well deserved publicity . Best of look , I can't think of how I can help further, but if you do, please let me know and i'll be more than willing . I'll keep checking this post for any updates,
Thanks Gary :D

admin
Site Admin

by admin on Sun May 02, 2010 11:07 am

Gary - I'll see what I can do. Have a couple of meetings coming up with a couple of large pharmaceutical companies. I'll pitch the idea and see what reaction I get. I don't think it's necessarily something that can be done quickly but you never know. I've added it to my 'wish list' of things I'd like on the sites and will keep plugging away when I can.

If you don't see an update in this thread and want to contact me at any time to check on any progress, email me via office@talkhealthpartnership.com

Healthy regards
Deborah Mason
Founder
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

5 posts