severe allergic reation to dustmites/???

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

22 posts
Kathryn_Meloncelli

by Kathryn_Meloncelli on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Re: severe allergic reation to dustmites/???

I have the same problem, although I'm able to have carpet in my room. I do wet dusting myself, although if it gets in the air i get a little reaction.
I have a special bed that comes apart and can be washed in the washing machine...Its a bit expensive though. It costs $4000. Its specifically made to prevent dustmites. I also have a dust mite cover on the bed which is a little like a plastic cover.
I've also been getting needles to help immunise myself against my allergies. Wheat, chicken, yeast, corn, grass, dust mites, dogs, cats, horses. Pretty much everything.
Do your children take antihestamines every day? Its sad we have to miss out on things sometimes. I know how your kids must feel. It does help missing a day of school sometimes though. I've been so bad somedays I just couldnt move. I hope they will grow out of it, or by the time they're old enough to look after themselves they will have made up a miracle drug to stop it all. You guys are doing an amazing job...I know its hard to watch your child in pain, but just keep trying. You will find something that works.

lynseys

by lynseys on Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:20 pm

thanks for the replys they have been really helpful!! I ve just purchased a humidifier to see if that helps and a dyson animal fingers crossed!! my daughter is on 4 antihistamines a day. 1 in the morning and 3 of a night they have just gave in and gave us the aveeno cream to try as we use cetraben and epaderm. They have perscribed my son cetrezine med and gave him anti allergy eye drops his eyes are really suffering :( my daughters eyelids get effected not actually her eyes weird!! i hope everyone is having happy skin days what a battle take care x :)

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:01 am

Hi

My son is on certirizine for his face flares all year round, his does has just gone upto 10mg aday, we have just stopped eye drops and nose spray as the pollen levels have dropped. It suits him well but we can still use the piriton if flares are bad.

My daughter also suffers terribly with her eye lids, not her eyes. They can change by the hour and are often wet and weeping.

Both children have responed well to my purchase of a Chillow Pillow each. to the point that this morning I realised it must be 6 weeks or more since I put steroids on my sons face so either or both the pillow and/or cetirize levels have had a good result. This is the 1st break from steroids in his life of more than a couple of days. :)
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Heidijo

by Heidijo on Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:48 pm

we have a dyson animal and and both sets of grandparents have dysons aswell!!!! they r well worth the money. when i hoover my son's room u can see a gray layer of skin sitting inside even more so when doing his mattress we also buy new cheap pllows regulary. i dont have eczema but have asthma and find that mould is a trigger so that could b worth a look into as it only takes a tiny amount eg slight black in a shower or on a window frame . we try to keep the junk out of r sons room so it stays a dust free as poss or stuff in plastic tubs so u just wipe them, not easy children atract junk.

donna86

by donna86 on Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi Anna what is the chillow pillow you had refered too?

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:48 pm

The chillow is a thin pad which contains plain tap water it is about 2cm thick and you put it inside the pillow case. It is fantastic, after our recent holiday I'd not put them back in the pillows at home and the children both asked for them. It naturally draws the temperature away from your skin. They just cool the skin I am sure this has a direct positive effect on the neck and face area. They do a double sided one too so that you can put your hands under the pillow, but we have the one sided ones.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

ItinerantChild

by ItinerantChild on Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:05 pm

There are three bits of equipment you may find helpful. The first is Raycop anti-bacteriial vacuum/mattress cleaner. It emits an ultra-violet light which kills the majority of dustmites in your mattress, pillows, soft toys, sofa custions etc. It then vacuums them up. However I find the vacuum part of the deal isn't very powerful so I vacuum with the Miele Allervac. The third piece of equipment is the Samsung Virus Doctor. Google it! It is not yet available in the UK but you can get them in the Far East and North Africa. This is a stylish bit of kits that sits in the room and, theoretically, within 20 minutes of operation it will kill 99.9% of every virus present in an average sized room. Every Flu virus, Cold virus, MRSI, SAR’s, dust-mite – every air-borne virus will be turned into harmless water vapour. It also takes away odours of all kind. My GP has one sitting in his surgery. I want one!

minime001

by minime001 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Dust is irritable and whatever is in it :| BUT, I would suggest you take a look at artificial fragrances first. I've cut them out totally, and I am now all clear from Eczema. My skin has never felt or looked this good! However, I still have problems with perfumes. I rash up with my old ones, so I had to chuck them all away. I now only use natural and organic perfumes, the ones that are based on pure essential oils not reliant on synthetic chemicals that can have over 200 different chemicals in a perfume. Seriously, take a look at all your products and see how many products contain fragrance - that little word contains up to 200 chemicals!! No wonder we're having problems ie. Allergies on the increase :cry:

RosyHannah

by RosyHannah on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:54 pm

It is so tricky to avoid chemicals these days! While I do not suffer from severe allergies I cannot use any harsh chemicals on my hands without developing dermatitis. Can you recommend any household cleaners which are safer for skin?

Thanks in advance,

Rosy

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:51 am

Hi,

Some ingredients in cleaners that irritate skin are sodium lauryl sulfate, triclosan, formaldehyde, sodium hydroxide, linalool and sodium flouride. So, may want to look for one that does not have these.. but I think it's quite hard to find.

Take care,
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

22 posts