severe allergic reation to dustmites/???

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

22 posts
donna86

by donna86 on Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:18 pm

Re: Dust anyone?

Hiya, Ive just been told im allergic to dust mites, and of all things leather!!so currently i cant sleep in my bed or sit on my sofa its so annoying!!!
You neeed to keep on top of hovering your room, maybe get wooden floor instead of carpets, ive just bought a hypo allergenic matress and matress protector, and i hover and wash my walls to get rid of every trace of dust!!!
hope this makes sense and helps!!

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:32 pm

You have to have a HEPA filter on the hoover which filters the air and not just movesthe dust around. Wooden floors have greatly helped my children we have done nearly every room.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:27 pm

The HEPA filter is available on many main brand hoovers, ours was from argos but the details are available in all stores just a case of looking around.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

KarenJones

by KarenJones on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:08 am

I am the website manager for TalkEczema, TalkAllergy & TalkAsthma. Perhaps it may be worth posting something onto the TalkAllergy message board as well in order to get some ideas. Good luck.
Karen Jones
Forum Moderator

carrieharvey

by carrieharvey on Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:09 pm

My daughter is highly allergic to dust mites and therefore dust. She has an air purifer with a HEPA filter in her bedroom and wooden flooring which i am also gradually applying throughout the house. Dusting with a damp cloth instead of a duster should pick up more of the dust, also washing curtains and bedding at 60 degrees should kill the dust mites, or alternatively if you have materials that can not be washed at such a high temperature freezing for 24 hours is also supposed to kill them. Hope thats some help! :)

ajaj

by ajaj on Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:23 pm

i have hand eczema and feel that even during periods when i am very determined to remove dust in the home, the skin is still itchy. i hate eczema!

lynseys

by lynseys on Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:22 pm

severe allergic reation to dustmites/???

Hi just wondered if anyone else has this problem. My daughter is 10 now and reacts everytime she is exposed to dust. This is becoming a major problem visiting people,holidays and ecspecially school :( Her RAST test showed a grade 4 to dustmites which we was told was quite high does anybody have any advice as my daughters itching is out of control under dermatologist and gp is great. The eczema society sent us some good tips but all the vaccuming wet wiping is impossible and she cant live in a bubble forever!! thanx lynsey :)

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:04 am

Re: severe allergic reation to dustmites/???

hi
my kids react too, an expensive be very worth while step was to take up all our carpets and lay wood floors. it means they can sit and play without flaring. When visiting grandparents they flare immediately with the carpets especially on their hands feet and faces.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

lynseys

by lynseys on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:03 am

thanks Anna i think that is gonna have to be the next!! How do you children manage at school??? :)

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:26 pm

School has ups and downs. They have all his creams in school and have a set adult who applys creams every dinner time. Certain activities flare him and when he is so bad I feel like keeping him home but school try to be helpful. Sending him home with the class teddy caused such a bad reaction and distress that the teachers were shocked. He wears gloves more often than not in school and still manages to get on quite well only having to miss out on a few things.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator

22 posts