Hair Dye

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

5 posts
mandyafc

by mandyafc on Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:01 pm

Hair Dye

I've got to the point where I can't ignore the amount of grey in my hair, it's really getting me down now. I've not dared to use any hair colourant yet as I dread to think what the chemicals will do to my skin. Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions as to what I might be able to try.

I will need to get it done at a hairdressers as my hair is pretty long and thick (even with methotrexate causing a lot to fall out!) so henna isn't an option as I haven't been able to find a hairdresser that will do it for me.

I know this seems a really small thing to worry about but my hair is the only thing I ever get complimented on and I'm already feel self conscious about all the scars and discoloured patches on my skin so just want one part of me to look nice.

Thanks for any help :)

AnnaB

by AnnaB on Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Re: Hair Dye

Find a really good hairdressers. They have to do a patch test a certain number of days before a full colour so talk to them and maybe after your patch test maybe they could try a small area of hair/scalp before your full head. I know mine would accomodate such special needs. Go in and talk to them, if they are happy to work with you then I'd say work with them, but if they don't sound flexible then leave. I have found out that the heat lamp speeds up the process so the dye would need to be on your hair for a shorter time. Seek their advice and keep us posted how you get on.
AnnaB
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

sf34_22

by sf34_22 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:41 pm

Mandy I have highlights put in at the hairdressers and as she pulls my hair through a cap none of the dye touches my scalp at all------------------that may be an option for you as they can do all colours that way.

mandyafc

by mandyafc on Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Thank you so much for the replies. I've been offered patch tests by hairdressers but have been a little scared that they may cause a flare up. While I can get away with it I think I'm going to go along the lines of lowlights using one of those caps, I don't know why I didn't think of that! Once again, thanks for the helpful replies :D

CinammonWaffleJ

by CinammonWaffleJ on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:31 am

You've probably been and had this done by now, but for anyone else wondering. A salon LEGALLY has to do a patch test at least 48 hours before you can have any colouring done. It is literally a cotton bud dab of dye that is put behind your ear. So if it does flare up at all, it's easily hidden!
Hope this helps!
Never say goodbye because saying goodbye means going away and going away means forgetting.- Peter Pan ♥

5 posts