Allergic contact dermatitis reaction to boyfriend

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
hannahlt

by hannahlt on Fri May 23, 2014 10:30 am

Allergic contact dermatitis reaction to boyfriend

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for any advice for a persistent allergic reaction which causes eczema flareups and urticaria.

For the past 3 months, since I began seeing my boyfriend, I have been suffering from allergic reactions to him. At first the reactions were very severe – when I stayed at his house for the first time I woke up with a red, inflamed rash all over my face and hands, a swollen arm and nose, and was short of breath – I went to A&E twice with this issue (both times after staying at his house) and was given steroids and sent home. I went to my GP and they suggested it was a contact allergy to a product he was using so was referred for allergy patch testing at the Contact Dermatitis Unit at Salford Royal.

Whilst waiting for my appointment at Salford Royal I was using hydrocortisone cream and antihistamines to calm my reactions and, in an attempt to eliminate the allergen, my boyfriend changed all of his products (face wipes, moisturiser, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner etc.) to the ones that I use myself. However, I still couldn't kiss him without my face flaring up again and was feeling very ill from the stress of the situation. We had to avoid physical contact for a couple of weeks entirely in order to give my skin a chance to recover. I could not wear make up, and even my usual gentle products that previously had been fine were now irritating my poor skin.

The patch tests to all of his products showed up as negative so we were at a loss as to what was causing the reactions. Worrying that we'd missed a product out of the testing, he also changed his washing powder and toothpaste to the same as mine as well.

In the past two 1/2 months since my patch testing, the reactions to him (aka. to any physical contact), have decreased in severity - we can now spend time together, hold hands, kiss etc. without me needing to go to A&E! - but I still have worsened eczema flare ups on my hands/wrists/neck/arms/face after we've had physical contact and often break out in urticaria-type raised bumps. The reactions are also appearing in other places now – sometimes I have a swollen elbow, or a rash on my knees and calves.

These reactions are treated with hydrocortisone creams and antihistamines (on the advice of my GP) and my skin normally calms down in the week when I only see him for short periods of time (we work together, so I see him every day, but only have minimal contact) – it's the weekends when we spend a considerable amount of time together that my skin worsens (normally by Sunday night I am fed up, frustrated and itchy). In recent weeks I have also been experiencing itching and discomfort after sexual contact, which makes it pretty impossible to have regular sex.

We are at a complete loss as to what I could be allergic to – although we're certain it is definitely something to do with him as it always calms down in 24-48hrs when I'm not around him – and I would really, really like to be able to enjoy this new relationship and get to the bottom of the issue!

Any advice / stories of similar experiences welcome! Thank you!!

Marcie Mom

by Marcie Mom on Mon May 26, 2014 8:20 am

Re: Allergic contact dermatitis reaction to boyfriend

Oh dear! Hugs! I wonder if he has pets? I'm just thinking it could be an environmental allergen instead of his products... maybe if he has a dog/ cat or his house is near to certain trees that you're allergic to. These airborne allergens are light and stay on his clothes and skin and contact with them may be causing your allergy. Try allergy testing instead of patch test, and see if there is any positive item and from there, look out for these items near/about your bf's home?
Hugs hugs hugs, on a positive side, he cares for you loads and changed all his products promptly!!!
Mei
Mei
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Mei - Founder of http://www.EczemaBlues.com and Mom to Marcie
Visit Mei on her talkhealth blog all about eczema http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog/author/mei_m/

2 posts