Unusual Allergy

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, admin, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

3 posts
lady_Jane

by lady_Jane on Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:27 pm

Unusual Allergy

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forums and thought I would share my story in case it might help some people discover what it is they are allergic to. Unlike most people it seems, my eczema started in my mid-twenties. I went hiking on a hot sunny day for my birthday and the following day I noticed that my eyelids were red and dry. I thought it was a sunburn, but when it got worse, not better, I realized it was something else. It spread to my neck, jaw, and cheeks. Pharmacists and doctors told me it was eczema and that it was just a matter of figuring out what I was allergic to. Nothing, and I mean nothing had changed in my life, no diet changes, no soaps, no laundry detergents or anything. I then spent a week at my parents' during which my skin cleared up completely and almost immediately; but as soon as I came back home my skin flared up again with a vengeance. I still couldn't figure out what was different between these two places. I must have started using hydrocortisone cream, even on my eyelids, because at its worst I never left my bedroom, let alone the house. My eyes were so swollen I looked as though I had been repeatedly punched in the face.
One day I was at work and about to take a sip out of my water bottle when it occurred to me that the first time I ever used that bottle was during that hiking trip on my birthday. I immediately ceased to drink out of the bottle and my skin cleared up within a few days. The bottle was a cheap aluminium one and I don't know what specifically caused the reaction, but water bottles was definitely not one of the potential allergens that had been suggested to me. So I guess my advice is to analyze absolutely everything that you do because it could turn out to be something absurd.
I still have flare-ups so it seems as though the bottle triggered it originally and now I just have to live with it. Wondering if anyone else has had this experience...
Thanks for listening.

sunny81

by sunny81 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:57 pm

Re: Unusual Allergy

Hey Jane

Thanks for your post. Yeah some years back a similar thing happened to my mum and shes NEVER had eczema. Although it started when she was prescribed penecillin for a flu. she had a huge reaction on her face and hands. Docs told her to keep away from all metals / alloys etc. When she did washing up etc she would have to wear vinyl gloves.

I wish you all the best.. and look forward to reading more of your posts :)
Sunny81

3 posts