Frustrated with treatments

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy, CherrySencha, TalontedLex, JulieBC*

3 posts
gillybean6664

by gillybean6664 on Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:20 am

Frustrated with treatments

Hi
I am new on here. Had roscea for about 20/years. I've tried mirvosa didn't work for me.to reduce redness, some days it worked mostly didn't work. I then got skin infection on my face and now left.with dry skin on face. Dermatology said about trying different medication bit may make my skin dry, when its already dry. Is there anything anyone can suggest?/have to have bloods tested first to check.liver

JulieBC*

by JulieBC* on Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Frustrated with treatments

Hi Gillybean. Welcome! I hope you like the community here. I find it to be friendly and informative.

I can relate to what you're going through. My rosacea diagnosis was 16 or 17 years ago and while I can control it a lot of the time, flare-ups still happen.

I haven't tried mirvosa, but I've tried several different prescription meds without any success. You're right that so many of the topical products are drying and they're not supposed to be combined with skin creams. I can't see how that's supposed to be beneficial (then again, I'm not a dermatologist. I'm sure they have their reasons).

I've had a lot of luck with home LED light therapy treatments (red and amber). That said, I know other people who have gone for laser or LLLT treatments and have been somewhat or very successful with those. I'm too much of a coward to try those, though, because they're painful, expensive and you have to go back for several treatments and they only last for so long.

This winter, I use a cool-mist humidifier and it has made a HUGE difference in my skin dryness. Have you tried something like that? I just use mine in my bedroom overnight.

My strategy has been to create what I call a "Rosy Lifestyle" :oops: . It's a silly name but it makes me think of all my efforts in a more positive way. I've tracked my triggers so I can avoid them (as much as possible). I eat anti-inflammatory foods while reducing my intake of foods that promote inflammation. I am extremely careful and consistent with my skin care and I use my light therapy because it's working for me. I've tried to look at my life as a whole to see how it impacts my skin and then I gradually make little changes to reduce irritation and promote healing. I've even changed my laundry detergent.

Have you managed to identify your triggers? It's a nuisance but I find it's a very good start.

I hope you've found something from my experience helpful for you.
Julie
Rosacea Ambassador & talkhealth Forum Moderator
Rosacea Geek & Guinea Pig
My rosacea blog: http://www.treatrosacea.wordpress.com
My rosacea YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/rosaceatreatm ... ithjuliebc

ckaswell

by ckaswell on Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:07 pm

Re: Frustrated with treatments

I am also frustrated with my roseacea and treatments. None of the topicals seem to work for me. I am a light skinned redhead and I can forget about ever having my skin look normal again. I too use the light therapy which seems to help. Red light for redness, green for acne. I also tried the laser and the doctor burnt my face with it so now I have 2 distinct white lines on my left cheek..tried to sue him unsuccessfully. Be VERY CAREFUL if you go for laser. I wish I had never done it. I hope you try light therapy, I didn't do anything fancy, desk lamp with a large led red bulb I got in the hardware store. I am thinking about buying a better, more portable unit. Good luck and try the light!

3 posts