My "no-poo" theory

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy, CherrySencha, TalontedLex, JulieBC*

2 posts
badgerlady

by badgerlady on Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:12 am

My "no-poo" theory

Hello!

Late last year, I went trekking through the Himalayas and therefore couldn't wash my hair properly for over 3 weeks. It's long and bleached so the condition has always been pretty poor (I used a lot of expensive products). Anyway, I decided to take the opportunity to transition into 'no-poo', or 'self-washing', whereby I give my hair a good rinse with plain water twice a week but otherwise leave it to its own devices.

I quickly saw improvements in the condition of my hair... when it's wet it feels kind of sticky from the natural oils (sebum) that are produced from the scalp, but when it's dry it just feels well conditioned. It looks and feels great, not greasy or dirty at all. I just have to comb it frequently to distribute the sebum along the full length.

Anyway, I noticed that my nails were getting a lot stronger and healthier, and after a while realised that this wasn't a coincidence. A person's nails are constantly in contact with the hair - combing it through your fingers, scratching or massaging the scalp, brushing it aside etc. I'm now convinced that allowing the natural sebum to exist in my hair has also benefited my nails.

So here's the next step... if sebum is like a miracle healing balm for hair and nails, why not skin?

I normally scrape my hair back out of my face at work, and braid it at night. But this week I've started combing it into styles that allow some of it to cover my face, or at least touch it most of the day. It's too early to tell whether it's helping to heal my Type 2 rosacea but I'm keeping all other routines the same (daily Mervosa gel, wide-brimmed hat...) and will see what happens.

Any thoughts?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:07 pm

Re: My "no-poo" theory

Hi badgerlady,

Thank you for sharing your insight into allowing your natural sebum help keep your skin and hair healthy.

Do keep us posted on whether it did end up helping your rosacea, as I'm sure other members on this forum would be most interested to hear your update.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts