Treatment of Rosacea

Moderators: talkhealth, macygravy, CherrySencha, TalontedLex, JulieBC*

41 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:18 pm

Re: Treatment of Rosacea

That is really interesting thank you.

Do other members track triggers in a similar way? Please let us know by commenting on this thread if you have any triggers you are aware of or think may contribute to rosacea.

Helen
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

tarramac

by tarramac on Thu May 12, 2016 1:13 pm

I posted originally regarding being on tetracycline for two years which I found more or less kicked my symptoms into touch for many years. However, after a pretty catastrophic couple of years and huge amount of stress...my Rosacea flare up again last year. This time it wasn't so bad with minimal spots but the general redness around my nose, chin and cheeks came back. I would say stress is my biggest trigger closely followed by sunlight and vigorous exercise. I went back on tetralysil for about six months and it's definitely helped me hugely.

With regard to make-up...I find that expensive products are not always best and have found some excellent products that don't aggravate my skin. There's been much trial and error during the sixteen years since first onset of my symptoms.

I tend to steer clear of foundation and use Nivea BB cream - light in winter and a mix of light and medium in summer. I use Nivea cleansing milk now which works great because after many years using Liz Earle products when a certain company bought them out I suddenly found my skin started reacting...coincidence? If I have to use foundation I find Bourjois is light and I don't get any of the tingling/irritation that most products seem to cause. I NEVER apply powder as this triggers a reaction always.

With regard to exercise I power walk everywhere and love to hike as running and vigorous exercise play havoc with my skin. Also...swimming is out because chlorinated water is a huge irritant but sea swimming seems to do it wonders!

Just lastly...I do find spicy foods and chillis make my skin react but asking me to go without a good curry is just a step too far! I'll give up a lot but that's asking too much...In fact...I'm just off to cook a nice Massaman curry..;)

JulieBC*

by JulieBC* on Thu May 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Tarramac, I can relate to your struggles in finding the right products and in having symptoms disappear for a while (so you can trick yourself into thinking you've mastered them) and then BOOM, they're back.

I hope this flare-up isn't a long lasting one for you and that the stress from the last couple of years is easing for you. Of all the triggers, I think stress must be the worst one because it's the hardest to control.

I find that I have a bit more wiggle-room when it comes to the makeup I choose when I apply a very good quality primer to my skin, first. I cleanse, moisturize/treat and then apply the primer as a barrier between the stuff my skin likes and the stuff my skin doesn't like as much. Not all primers are created equal but I'm lucky to have been given samples from a few shops so I could do a (large) number of patch tests. I currently know of 2 that work for me and it makes a big difference in reducing the harm my makeup (especially foundation) does to my symptoms. I still have to aim for the right makeup (again, testing over a decade and a half has helped me to find what works for me), but I've found a good primer makes life a lot easier.

Do you use a primer or can you get away with some makeup without it?

I agree that the price or even the quality of the product doesn't mean it will necessarily be safe for my skin. Everything needs to be patch tested and I never know what will work.

I also agree that giving up all spicy foods forever is out of the question ;) It's good to know someone else feels the same way!
Julie
Rosacea Ambassador & talkhealth Forum Moderator
Rosacea Geek & Guinea Pig
My rosacea blog: http://www.treatrosacea.wordpress.com
My rosacea YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/rosaceatreatm ... ithjuliebc

LillyJohn

by LillyJohn on Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:37 am

I would recommend you to do the laser treatment. It is better to get rid of it permanently.I have seen my friends suffering from Rosacea and I know the pain too. She did laser treatment from Beauti-Med Laser Skin Care Centre, Port Coquitlam ( http://www.beauti-med.com/cosmetic-serv ... r-removal/ ), the one which I am familiar with. You can have a clear face without any makeover.

JulieBC*

by JulieBC* on Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:18 pm

I've looked into lasers, too, lillyjohn. I recently interviewed Dr. Nisith Sheth from Cedars Dermatology Clinic (the full interview is here: https://treatrosacea.wordpress.com/2016 ... questions/ in case you want to see it).

He also offers laser but said that published literature in journals suggest that laser gives rosacea patients an improvement of about 75 percent (on average) after two sessions. He said it is possible to achieve 100 percent improvement from laser, but that it's not at all common. He also pointed out that in reality what he's witnessed is that laser provides a 60 percent to 80 percent improvement after undergoing 4 treatments.

Laser and light therapies for rosacea sound promising but they're not a miracle (just like nothing else is a miracle). Nothing has been discovered that actually cures it.

I'm currently using LED light therapy (also known as LLLT) at home and I'd say I've experienced an improvement of around 75 percent to 80 percent. I tracked that on my blog (at the above link), too.

I think the key is to try treatments like that, but to make sure your lifestyle is - for the most part - rosacea-friendly. Avoiding triggers is the most important step I've taken.
Julie
Rosacea Ambassador & talkhealth Forum Moderator
Rosacea Geek & Guinea Pig
My rosacea blog: http://www.treatrosacea.wordpress.com
My rosacea YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/rosaceatreatm ... ithjuliebc

jollymolly

by jollymolly on Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:55 pm

I figured my rosacea was being caused by the demodex mites since I often felt crawling sensations on my face - especially at night. I had been dong a lot of research at that point.
Searched the web and found a cream that seemed to target the mites and also the redness etc.
Used this proskin rosacea cream and it is has been nothing short of fantastic. All of my redness has gone and the pustules and papules have disappeared. Still got some thread veins which are hardly noticeable and there are some small scars but even these seem to be smoothing out (although don't quote me on that) Can't wait to see ehat my skin is like in a months time. I have only been using this cream for three weeks..

finred111

by finred111 on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 am

soolantra is getting good reviews for type 2 rosacea....and there are natural alternatives to it..if you google natural alternative to soolantra.....but its good for pustules etc

finred111

by finred111 on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:55 am

my type 1 is under control but i cant drink red wine or if i do i know the consequences but every now and again i get a flare up and i havent a clue where it came from...thats rosacea for you

good feedback on the natural alternative to Soolantra made by finca skin organics ..its especially for type 2 rosacea...i have type 1 and use the type 1 serum made by same skincare company...all available on line on their website....i think type 2 is easier to clear up than type 1.....

AngelAskins

by AngelAskins on Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:23 pm

I purchased Dermalmd Rosacea serum 2 months ago after viewing a video on YouTube saying it would help with broken capillaries. I use it most days in both the AM & PM and it does seem to be helping. Wonderful product particularly for Rosacea. :)

susanajacob

by susanajacob on Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:30 am

I am so surpriced with the results of this Dermalmd Rosacea serum. I was having one of the worst outbreaks of my rosacea. I got this and immediately put this on and magically it was calmed down and the redness and the burning was minimal. Sooo good product.

41 posts