Arthritis

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

22 posts
Hileena1

by Hileena1 on Fri May 09, 2014 10:49 pm

Re: Arthritis

Hi Helen
Thanks for the reply
I certainly do meet people........ :lol: My volunteering for Arthritis Care involves Peer support.
We have a stand {2 of us} in the out patients dept of a large hospital....we get plently of footfall being at the entrance.....we are there twice a month when there are really busy clinics on. We have lots of information and we are there for people to come and chat and ask us questions.
We are starting up a smaller one in the other side of the city...that will just be once a month. We have a Leisure centre where we do the same but only twice a year. Then stands at lots of fairs.
We have 2 different fairs booked, {July and Aug} and one stand in an indoor market place in May.
It keeps me thinking about my own OA and scoliosis ;)
The fracture is a different kettle of fish because I expect to see a difference each day {its not chronic like the others} and after nearly 12 weeks I cant see much difference.
Oh well.....one of these days I'll be able to walk further on 2 crutches than I can now.....thank goodness for mobility scooters for long distances :lol:
Love
Eileen

RebeccaHill

by RebeccaHill on Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:08 am

Various exercises that you can do for arthritis are:

Raising your arms over your head
Rolling your shoulders forward and backward
Weight training
walking
Riding a bike
Swimming

Hileena1

by Hileena1 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi Helen
I don't know if I mentioned....possibly didn't know when I last posted that I will be on crutches the rest of my life :o
The fracture I had in my hip {four weeks post op, doing one of the NHS exercises} a bit of bone has separated and has moved quite far away from the joint
My own consultant who knows I like straight answers has said......NO it will never heal, you might progress to one crutch but that's it and remember you have osteoporosis so its Safety First. We don't want you falling and breaking another bone :shock:
In a way I'm happier that I've got an answer even though its not one I wanted :roll: I kept waiting for it to heal but now I'm resigned to it not healing so I'm accepting it.......Just have to get the hang of these crutches :lol: They are such a nuisance......if you sit down in a café or somewhere....will they stay upright..NO :D I shout at them, talk to them but it makes no difference :)
I'm just realising that this happened last Jan and its now November.......first winter on crutches.
Today I was going to a meeting at 10am but it was pouring with rain and although I can drive I still would have had a bit to walk before getting there after I parked.....so I wasn't very happy. A bit scared. So I didn't go. Then there will be frost and snow to contend with........think I will hibernate :D :D
I need to get confidence in bad weather on crutches.
Hileena

meerakannan

by meerakannan on Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:02 am

Life style changes for reduce Arthritis,

. Manage weight
. Quit smoking
. Exercise

Hileena1

by Hileena1 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:06 am

Hi
I had to laugh at the lifestyle changes

I'm at target weight
I don't smoke / or drink
As for exercises......a bit hard on 2 crutches :D
I do my best. Seated zumba
Yoga with some of the moves adapted for me
Gym once a week.....just a couple of machines
Walking 2 or 3 times a week {OK with crutches but that's the best I can manage]
This fracture is still very painful regardless of all of that
Hileena

justinhaddin

by justinhaddin on Thu May 14, 2015 7:52 am

Exercise is the best way to set arthritis pain. Regular swimming practice can save you.

Arthritis Action

by Arthritis Action on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:03 pm

Whether you have arthritis or not, exercises is extremely important as a way of maintaining the health of your muscles and joints as well as the health of your heart and every tissue in your body. Everyone should probably be doing a little more exercise, but people living with the symptoms of arthritis often find that physical activity helps to reduce joint pain, stiffness and reduced mobility.

Many people with arthritis worry that exercise can harm the joints. This is a commonly held misconception, but in fact research suggests that this is not true and that the correct types of physical activity may well reduce the symptoms of arthritis.

It is normal to sometimes feel a little sore or uncomfortable after exercise, especially if it is something you haven’t done for a while, but it is important to remember that this does not mean that you are harming your joints.

When starting a new type of activity:
• Try something that you enjoy
• Build up slowly
• Try a variety of exercises for the circulation, mobility, strength, relaxation and balance

For more information on physical activity and arthritis, visit: http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk/living/exercise

You could also book onto one of our Self-Management events to find out more.

Matthew Rogers
Arthritis Action | Director of Therapies
http://www.arthritisaction.org.uk / info@arthritisaction.org / Tel: 020 3781 7120

22 posts