Pain relief tablets or creams

Moderator: talkhealth

9 posts
Dcarer11

by Dcarer11 on Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:00 pm

Pain relief tablets or creams

I am a new carer to a family member with osteoarthritis in the Base of the back.I have been advised to use Deep Heat or Voltarol to rub in.Has anyone used any of these and what did you find?

julioalmeda219

by julioalmeda219 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:35 pm

Re: Pain relief tablets or creams

Dcarer11 wrote:Osteoarthritis (Osteoarthritis, also known as degenerative arthritis, degenerative joint disease), is a condition in which low-grade inflammation results in pain in the joints, caused by abnormal wearing of the cartilage that covers and acts as a cushion inside joints and destruction or decrease of synovial fluid that lubricates those joi
We take the freedom of movement for granted, until it becomes limited. The cause of this for many people comes in the form of arthritis, or the inflammation of one or more of your joints. There are two main kinds, osteo and rheumatoid, both of which affect the joint in different ways. Osteo arthritis is when the cartilage between bones wears down, until bone grates on bone. Rheumatoid is little less straightforward, being caused by an autoimmune disorder that causes inflammation of the synovial membrane (a soft tissue that protects joints in the body) and that can lead to bone loss. Whichever you experience, there are natural remedies for arthritis to manage the pain and ease the symptoms.
Have you used it?
New here

Healthygirl

by Healthygirl on Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Hello,
a good few months ago, I was prescribed Movelat cream to ease the pain for my osteoarthritis, although it helped a bit, I was not too impressed with it. I went back to my GP and asked if it was possible to have a tube of capsaicin cream. It is made by the company Cephalon, and it's name on the box is Zacin 0.025% w/w cream. To my surprise, it actually did make a difference to me , relieving the discomfort . I got it on prescription, so you might like to try it too. If you do try it, make sure you wash your hands very well after using the cream, as it can feel as if it is going to burn delicate skin areas.
I personally do not take pain killers as there are too many side effects, and they just mask the pain rather than treating it properly. I have found that taking Turmeric tablets from health shops( like Holland and Barrett) make a difference to easing the pain.
Cream is often overlooked and tablets are given out too freely, but I was told that cream is better for you as it is quickly absorbed into the body. One other tablet I did find very helpful, was homeopathic Copper tablets.
Hope this helps you.

Hileena1

by Hileena1 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi, Thanks for your post, I am always looking for creams for my aches and pains
I take too many tablets I think. I will read over yours again

Eileen

katebrownell

by katebrownell on Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Voltarol contains Diclofenac as threpeutically active ingredient and it is most common NSAID used in osteoarthritis. Diclofenac acts by preventing the release of inflammation causing substances and thus effective and first choice of drug in pain treatment. So use of voltarol is perfect for treatment of osteoarthritis.

RajinderSingh

by RajinderSingh on Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:01 am

Voltarol Osteoarthritis Joint Pain Relief Gel is a medicated treatment containing a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug. The active ingredient (diclofenac) penetrates the skin to provide relief of pain and inflammation. It works differently from heat or cooling rubs, which contain ingredients that stimulate nerves in the skin, to provide a sensation of heating or cooling.

Do not use this cream if :
  • - You are allergic to diclofenac, propylene glycol, isopropyl alcohol, butylhydroxy toluene or any of the other ingredients
    - You are in the last three months of pregnancy
    - You have ever had an asthma attack or allergic reaction after taking aspirin or other NSAIDs such as diclofenac or ibuprofen
    - You are under 14 years of age
    - You are using other medicine containing diclofenac or taking oral NSAIDs such as aspirin or ibuprofen

johnherron

by johnherron on Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:16 am

When you have arthritis pain, you need rest . But with so many alerts and precautions in the news about painkillers, it's hard to understand what’s best for you. Many medicines that ease arthritis pain have the risk for health hazard, including increased risk, stomach problems, or infections.

fitness78

by fitness78 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:48 am

I have been told I have autoimmune arthritis and to be honest I just refuse more meds as I already take my thyroid meds. But the joints in my fingers hurt so much and I would like a cream I can find in Europe that really works. Thank you

advhccenter

by advhccenter on Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:16 am

paracetamol. non-steroidal calming drugs (NSAIDs), like ibuprofen, headache medicine or diclofenac. gels and creams with medications (like NSAIDs and capsaicin) that are assimilated through your skin (skin drugs)

9 posts