Sleep disruption lasting for weeks

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
b1654321

by b1654321 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:44 am

Sleep disruption lasting for weeks

About a month ago I took up a co-worker's request to take his shift at a time that is much earlier than I'm used to. I had issues going to sleep early enough the night before that led me to getting only 3 hours of sleep.

The next few days my sleep was disrupted leading to me having lots of irregular nights including nights of getting 6 hours, getting sleep in chunks, some nights taking melatonin with one particular night taking more melatonin than I probably should have at different times during the night.

Since then and after having mental issues and other problems like coordination issues I can no longer get more than 6 hours of sleep in a row. I can go back to sleep after waking up and usually get 1.5 hours each time i go back to sleep.

In my entire life, I have NEVER had issues with getting 8+ hours if I'm allowed to (no alarm set). I'm 25 and again have ALWAYS been able to get 8 hours of sleep if I wanted to.

But now, 2 weeks IN A ROW, I CANNOT get more than 6 hours uninterrupted sleep and it has been negatively affecting my daily life. I wonder if this has something to do with that one night I took a lot of melatonin.

This isn't some thing like I'm just getting older thing or something else, it is in someway related to those events starting a month ago with me going in to work early after getting 3 hours sleep the night before.

And I really really must fix it. its now my top priority in life besides the obvious things like paying rent and eating. Right now this is affecting concentration, happiness, coordination, memory, hunger, motivation, etc. I'ts making almost everything about my life worse.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:35 am

Re: Sleep disruption lasting for weeks

Hi b1654321

Thank you for your post. We are sorry to hear you are struggling with sleep deprivation at the moment. It may be worthwhile visiting your doctor to see if they prescribe anything or if you don't want to go down that route try your local pharmacy who may be able to recommend something herbal. We also have a free support programme, mywellbeing, which you may find helpful, the link is here for you to have a look at, http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/psp/wellbeing.php.

Please let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts