dyshidrotic eczema

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
melc1973

by melc1973 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:36 pm

dyshidrotic eczema

Hello, I have dyshidrotic eczema which affects my hands only. I use steroid cream when it is really bad but all the moisturising creams I have tried do not seem to work. I have just been prescribed Epaderm which is ok for overnight when I wear cotton gloves but during the day I am not struggling. I have tried all of the recommended brands and they just do not moisturise them enough and I end up with cracked, sore skin. I do not know what causes my hands to develop eczema but I do not use soap, I wear gloves when washing up and cleaning. I just can't seem to get it under control.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:41 pm

Re: dyshidrotic eczema

Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about your hand eczema (dermatitis). It is a truly awful but unfortunately very common condition!

Greasy moisturisers (emollients) are essential (they are even better under occlusion). Have you tried Cetraben ointment, emulsifying ointment? The latter you can buy over counter for about £5 for 500 gm!

if it is not enough steroid ointments of appropriate strength should be used under medical supervision.

Unfortunately in some patients it is still not enough and a strong medicine (Alitretinoin) can be prescribed by a Dermatologist under careful monitoring. It is also important to consider a skin allergy test called patch testing to rule out allergy.

If you would like to read more about hand dermatitis or available treatments you can check my website www.alexandroff.org.uk

I hope this might be of help.

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

2 posts