Page 1 of 1

dyshidrotic eczema

Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:37 pm
by melc1973
Hello, I have dyshidrotic eczema which affects my hands only. I use steroid cream when it is really bad but all the moisturising creams I have tried do not seem to work. I have just been prescribed Epaderm which is ok for overnight when I wear cotton gloves but during the day I am not struggling. I have tried all of the recommended brands and they just do not moisturise them enough and I end up with cracked, sore skin. I do not know what causes my hands to develop eczema but I do not use soap, I wear gloves when washing up and cleaning. I just can't seem to get it under control.

Re: dyshidrotic eczema

Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:33 pm
by wendygreen

It sounds as though you're doing all you can to prevent and treat your dyshidrotic eczema (also known as pompholyx) but to no avail. I know how itchy and sore it can be, because I suffered from it myself a few years ago.

Given that applying hydrocortisone cream and Epaderm and wearing gloves isn't controlling your eczema, it's worth asking your GP if you can be referred to a dermatologist. There may be some underlying trigger - for example a fungal infection, an allergy, or hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating) that needs to be investigated and treated.

Stress can also be a factor and it's worth ensuring you eat plenty of foods containing healthy fats such as avocados, nuts, seeds and oily fish, to help lubricate your skin from within and damp down any inflammation.

I hope this helps.


Re: dyshidrotic eczema

Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:05 pm
by Dr Miriam Wittmann

Dishydrotic hand eczema is often part of a range of "allergic manifestations". Many patients also suffer from hayfever or asthma.
if steroid creams and hand protection measures (which you follow already) do not lead to sufficient control of your eczema symptoms further allergy diagnostic should be done. It sounds as if your eczema is NOT well managed if you suffer from areas of "broken" skin, itch and pain.
it would be good to see you GP for a referral for patch test and possibly also a blood test which looks into allergic sensitisation to inhalant allergens
if your hand eczema is severe (e.g. open skin, cuts, itch, difficulty to find sleep etc) you can also check if your nearest dermatology department takes part in a currently running UK wide trial on severe hand eczema (ALPHA trial) - self referral is a possible pathway for this trial which compares 2 first line treatments for severe hand eczema (more information on website