lichen simplex

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jacey1

by jacey1 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:30 am

lichen simplex

I have had lichen simplex for years, it was diagnosed by dermatologist via a biopsy, and I'm never free of sores and I am covered in scars. I use epaderm cream and Haelan tape, but there is a manufacturing problem at Typharm Limited and have been unable to get the Haelan Tape, I have been prescribed Mometasone Furoate cream but it does not have much effect can anyone suggest what I can do.

Dr Miriam Wittmann

by Dr Miriam Wittmann on Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:16 pm

Re: lichen simplex

Dear Jenny,

Itch and scratching is a big problem in Lichen simplex. It seems key to reduce the itch and the scratiching to allow for any healing to occur.
It often is a good idea to cover the lichen simplex overnight (e.g. zipzoc, tubifast or other bandages) to prevent you from scratching during sleep
if haelan tape is not available you can (for a short period of time!) also use the mometason under clingfilm cover (e.g. overnight for 2 or 3 nights)
think about when most scratching occurs and if you could avoid it by using a cold anti-itch cream to overcome itch attacks (e.g. eurax cream)
we find a combination of UV light treatment (has to be done in dermatology units) with topical therapy/bandaging can work quite well

KR
Miriam
Dr Miriam Wittmann
Associate Professor in Inflammatory Diseases
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ttmann.php

2 posts