contact dematitis/allergy in toddler?

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Maxine

by Maxine on Sat Sep 10, 2016 12:14 pm

contact dematitis/allergy in toddler?

Hi - my 13 month old son has patches of sore skin around his mouth. They are red and sometomes bleed, but are not very dry unless they are healing. They appeared about 4 months ago. So far they have failed to respond to hydrocortizone or antibacterial cream and three trips to the doctor. It is itchy. He also has small similar patches on his body. One doctor mentioned contact dematitis, but noone seems sure. They don't seem to think its allergy. I have quite severe eczema myself, but it is diferent from mine. We use emollient and his skin is generally quite soft and supple. The sore partches round the mouth seem to improve slightly withthe creams but it is not consistent. Also gets a bit better overnight. Any ideas/ advice?

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:42 pm

Re: contact dematitis/allergy in toddler?

Hi Maxine,

As your son is under five and you also suffer from eczema, it's likely he is suffering from atopic eczema - as this is inherited and is commonest in childhood. Atopic eczema can appear anywhere on the body - including the face.

If it is atopic eczema your son may be sensitive to allergens in the environment such as pet dander, dust mite droppings, moulds and pollens and possibly certain foods such as cows milk or eggs. The laundry detergent/soap/bubble bath/shampoo you use could also be triggering his symptoms, so it may be worth changing to non-biological/hypoallergenic products.

It is worth keeping a diary to see if you can identify what triggers your son's eczema and then you can discuss this with your GP. If you're unable to determine/avoid the triggers and his eczema doesn't improve it might be advisable to ask your GP for a referral to a dermatologist, who will be able to determine which type of eczema your son has and determine the best way to prevent/treat flare-ups.

I hope this helps.

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts