Eczema or Acne?

Post your eczema and dry skin related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
anonymousrhi

by anonymousrhi on Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Eczema or Acne?

2 years ago I first started getting eczema and January of this year it appeared on my cheeks. It was there for around 4/5 months then managed to disappear. The last month or so though I've been getting bumps on the sides of my face. They are sort of acne like, but I have never suffered from acne so I'm not fully sure. They don't tend to get heads like spots do, they're just bumps.

But since I am still nervous of getting the eczema returning on my cheeks, I don't know what kind of skincare to use. Do I use skin products for dry skin or eczema? As these feel really oily and greasy on my skin now. But if I switch to products for acne could they dry my skin back out again?

They aren't painful, I just have no idea what's best for my skin now.

Thanks!

Dr Miriam Wittmann

by Dr Miriam Wittmann on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 pm

Re: Eczema or Acne?

Dear Anonymous rhi,

I understand the skin lesions which have appeared on your face are neither itchy nor painful. If there is no itch it is very unlikely to be eczema. It is possible that this could be rosacea (however impossible to diagnose without seeing it). It would be good to discuss this potential diagnosis with your GP as there are some specific creams which can be prescribed (containing metronidazole, azelaic acid or ivermectin).

In the meantime the recommendation is to use products for "sensitive" skin (but not very greasy products as sometimes used for eczema conditions) and to avoid direct sunlight exposure as this can aggravate rosacea conditions.

Kind regards,
Miriam
Dr Miriam Wittmann
Associate Professor in Inflammatory Diseases
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ttmann.php

2 posts