Head Care Psoriasis

Post your psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis-related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

8 posts
SheepQueen

by SheepQueen on Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:22 am

Head Care Psoriasis

Sorry new to this forums stuff So if im doing it wrong i apologise :(
Was wondering what type of shampoo do people use ? Tried many over the years but a lot tends to burn my head Always been told conditioner makes it worse so unable to use that too xx

Dr Jonathan Bowling

by Dr Jonathan Bowling on Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:48 pm

Re: Head Care Psoriasis

Hi There,

Everyone is different and therefore treatments that work for one individual may not work for others, thats why there are often lots of options out there.

Ingredients to look for in shampoos for psoriasis include:

Tar - this can help irritation an reduce scale build up - e.g. Polytar shampoo
Salicylic acid - this can help reduce scale build up, though can be irritant - e.g. Neutrogena T/Sal shampoo
Benzalkonium chloride - can help reduce bacteria build up an reduce yeast colonisation which can aggravate scaly scalps - e.g. Dermax shampoo
Coconut oil - can help reduce irritation and soften scale - e.g. Capasal shampoo (which also has tar and salicylic acid)
Anti yeast agents - yeast build up can aggravate scalp conditions such as psoriasis and seborrhoeic dermatitis of the scalp, treating with anti-yeast shampoos can help - e.g. Oilatum scalp shampoo
Topical steroids - can help reduce inflammation and are available as a prescription shampoo - e.g. Etrivex shampoo

NB: Please allow time for the active ingredients to soak into the skin
Conditioner could be used after shampooing if you wish.

Additionally you could also alternate shampoos to find a regime that suits you.

I Hope this helps
Dr Jonathan Bowling FRCP
Consultant Dermatologist
Oxford

http://www.mydermatologist.co.uk
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... owling.php

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:19 pm

If you have scalp psoriasis, it is important to use a medicated shampoo, as advised by Dr Jonathan. If your scalp is sensitive and you want to use a conditioner, another option is Alphosyl 2:1, which contains a tar-based shampoo and conditioner in one product, designed for people with psoriasis. If you scalp is scaly, sore and red, you may need additional psoriasis treatments to reduce these symptoms, so you should discuss with your GP.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:52 pm

Hello,

I agree with Drs Bowling and Van Onselen,

I would add that my favourite non-prescription choices are
capasal shampoo and/or ketoconazol (Nizoral) shampoo.
If you need something stronger ask your GP or dermatologist if
Etrivex shampoo may be suitable for you.

I hope this might be of help.

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

kazzaroo

by kazzaroo on Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:05 pm

Hi there,
I have suffered with psoriasis for 38 years and have tried just about everything there is to try. I struggled with scalp psoriasis for years until I came across Capasal Shampoo. I find it to be the best on the market and it keeps me 100% clear and it is available on prescription here in the UK. I use it alongside Dove shampoo and conditioner. I have long highlighted hair so personally I shampoo once with Capasal, once with Dove shampoo, followed by Dove conditioner twice a week. Give it a go it worked for me and also worked for several people that I have recommended it to. :)

Dr Dev Shah

by Dr Dev Shah on Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:25 pm

Hi,

I would agree with all of my colleagues.

I want to add that burning of your scalp when using shampoo is not normal and means that you may well have an untreated condition such as eczema or psoriasis.

So I would recommend that you get a firm diagnosis from a doctor.

It sounds as though you need a topical steroid applied over night to your scalp to treat the underlying condition leading to the burning when you use shampoo

Good luck

Best wishes

Dev Shah
Consultant Dermatologist and Mohs Surgeon
drdevshah.com
Dr Dev Shah
Consultant Dermatologist
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... v_shah.php

felix

by felix on Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:21 am

Hi there. I sporadically get either a tight and painful scalp, or a very scaly feeling itchy one. Which I inevitably end up scratching in my sleep which in turn gives me scabs that end up being picked. I haven't seen my GP about this as, honestly, I have far too many other things to see them about!

I have used T-Gel in the past but find it no longer works. I have therefore been using Nizoral, which in the beginning worked like a dream, but now seems to be less effective.

My question is, what else have people/sufferers used that has helped them, and at what point do I mention it to my GP?

Many thanks!! Felix xx

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:59 pm

Dear Felix,

I am sorry to hear about your scalp problem. From your description I wonder if you may have seborrheic dermatitis which is very common I am afraid. I think now you need to see your GP or a Dermatologist because it sounds like you may need a stronger medication for example corticosteroid lotion or shampoo (but before this you need a correct diagnosis!).

I hope this might be of help.

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

8 posts