Acne scar help needed!

Post your acne related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Guest Posts

by Guest Posts on Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 am

Acne scar help needed!

On behalf of our guest visitor, Carol:
I'd like to ask about acne , abscesses and scars. I've always had acne, I've had a few abscesses and scars from getting them removed, I've thought about cosmetic surgery but I keep getting acne around the scars and more abscesses and the doctors just give me antibiotics which don't really help with any of it. What can I do to stop this and get rid of the scars?
talkhealth team on behalf of a guest visitor

Vanessa Jane Davies

by Vanessa Jane Davies on Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:59 pm

Re: Acne scar help needed!

Hello Carol,

It may be worth looking into skin camouflage products and treatment, both of which are on the NHS.

You can use camouflage products when the skin has healed and when no infection is present. They are excellent to conceal erythema and hyperpigmentation. Depending on the type of scars you have, you would need to apply the cover creams with a 'patting' action, either with a flat brush or your fingers.

If you would like some help with specific colours and technique, please get in touch with me directly.

Kind regards,
Vanessa Jane Davies MEWI LCGI
Skin Camouflage Consultant
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... davies.php

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:00 am

Re: Acne scar help needed!

Hi Carol
I am sorry to hear you have acne with abscesses and scarring. This indicates that your acne is nodular and still active, possibly severe - so firstly you do need further medical assessment and acne treatment. I wonder how long you have used antibiotics for, I presume they are tablets? A general rule with acne treatment is that a treatment should be tried for two months as directed and then reassessed by your GP, if the treatments is working, you would need to continue for a further 2 months; and if not move to another treatment.Although other treatments can also be added in and used in combination, including topical treatments and anti-androgen contraceptive pills. I am concerned that you have more severe acne and you are scarring, so I would advise you discuss a referral to a dermatologist with your GP for further advice and treatment for your active acne. It is only when acne is treated that you can look at cosmetic treatments for scarring, which sadly are not necessarily available on the NHS. However, a consultant dermatologist would be the best person to advise you. Good luck with this.
Julie
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

3 posts