Spots on my scalp

Post your acne related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
RintyRins

by RintyRins on Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:16 pm

Spots on my scalp

I'm a 63 year old female and for about the last 10 years, I've had itchy spots on my scalp which just never seem to heal. I have greasy hair and skin but do my best to keep everything clean and not scratch the spots. I've asked my GP about them but she just says that she doesn't know what causes them or how to get rid of them. I've also noticed that my once very thick hair is thinning dramatically on top - so much so that the spots are now quite visible. I've never been much use socially but now actively try not to go out because I feel so embarrassed. I've looked for anti-bacterial shampoos but haven't been able to find anything. Any advice or help would be very much appreciated.

wendygreen

by wendygreen on Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:30 pm

Re: Spots on my scalp

Hi,

These spots could have a number of causes - including seborrhoeic dermatitis, or folliculitis.

Seborrhoeic dermatitis is a form of eczema caused by a yeast overgrowth that mainly affects the scalp, but can also spread to oily parts of the face, such as the sides of the nose. It causes the scalp to become red and inflamed and flaky. If you think it could be this, you could try an over-the-counter anti-dandruff shampoo containing zinc pyrithione (e.g. Head and Shoulders) to help control the yeast, and see if it helps. Alternatively your GP could prescribe an antifungal or corticosteroid treatment.

Folliculitis is where the hair follicles become infected by a fungus, virus or bacteria. If it is this it will need to be treated with topical or oral antibiotics from your GP.

Given that the condition is causing your hair to thin - as well as embarrassment and social anxiety - I would recommend seeing a different doctor to get a proper diagnosis and the correct treatment. If another doctor is unable to identify what it is you are within your rights to ask for a referral to a dermatologist. There is also a danger that, if left untreated, your scalp problem could cause permanent hair loss - so do please go and get another opinion.

Good luck!

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert & Author - BSc (Hons) Health Studies
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts