Acne

Post your acne related questions for our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Bbones01

by Bbones01 on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:22 pm

Acne

My daughter (of mixed parentage) age 9 suffers from a condition called Premature Adrenarche... One of the symptoms of this condition is acne. How can I help her to reduce the acne and prevent scarring? She has been prescribed "Duac" and "Zineryt" to help but I am unsure of the long term usage in one so young and confess to not using it everyday. I am looking to go back to the GP for advice. Is there anything I should be asking for?

All advice gratefully received. Thanks

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:07 pm

Re: Acne

Hello,

thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your daughter skin problem. In general acne is very common, I am afraid.

Duac and Zyneryt can be used long term if indicated. They work better if they are used regularly. If they are not sufficient other topical treatments can be used including Epiduo gel. If necessary topical treatments can be combined with oral medications.

If you would like to read more about acne or available treatments there is more information on my website:
www.alexandroff.org.uk

I hope this might be of help.

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:50 am

Re: Acne

I am sorry to hear your daughter has developed acne at the young age of 9 years old, due to early onset of puberty. However acne is very common, girls in particular are developing acne at younger ages with earlier onset of puberty, just like your daughter. Your daughter has been prescribed acne treatments, which are all effective. However, recent guidelines recommend combined treatments, so I would advise starting with Duac, a very appropriate treatment for your daughter. A very important practical point is that acne treatments should be used for 2 months, every day and then response assessed, your daughter should also apply to the whole area of acne and not just individual spots. Try one treatment at a time for 2 months and then your daughter should return to her GP for reassessment. Please don't worry about 'long term use' especially for up to six months, there would be no long term effects from the topical antibiotics she has been prescribed, if you don't use treatment as directed, it simply will not work. All the best and I hope your daughter's acne improves with treatment.
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

3 posts