help required for research into treatment of eczema

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

2 posts
ashresearch

by ashresearch on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:59 am

help required for research into treatment of eczema

Hello all,

I am Ashleigh and I’m currently conducting some research for my psychology master’s degree.

As a personal sufferer of eczema, I’m interested to hear other’s personal experience with the diagnosis and treatment of the condition. I would be very grateful if anyone would be willing to take part in an e-mail based interview. I am mainly hoping to hear from people who were diagnosed as an adult/teenager and remember their experience at that time. It doesn't matter if you are new to it or have years of experience with the condition.

All data will be treated confidentially and anonymously and will only be used for an in class assesment . The project has obtained ethical approval from my supervisor.

If you have any further questions or would like to take part, please feel free to e-mail me on ashleigh.gillan@northumbria.ac.uk

Many thanks!

ashresearch

by ashresearch on Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: help required for research into treatment of eczema

For those who are interested, please see the infomation sheet

INFORMATION SHEET.

1. What is the purpose of the project?
It is well documented that the skin condition Eczema is difficult to control. The aim of this study is to gather information on individual understanding of the condition. A further aim is to uncover whether individuals solely rely on the advice and treatment from their General Practitioner.

2. Why have I been selected to take part?
You have indicated that you are interested in taking part in this study, and that you are an adult aged between the ages of 18-40 and were diagnosed with eczema as an adult.

3. What will I have to do?
You will be asked to participate on a series of e-mail based interviews. Interview questions will ask you to share your own personal experience with eczema. After consenting to the study you will be e-mailed with a starting question. Subsequent questions will follow depending on your response to the original question. The interview is designed to span, on average, a few emails. Due to the personal nature of the topic, you are within your rights to abstain from answering any question. After the interview you will be issued with a debrief sheet which will outline the nature of the study. Over the course of a number of e-mails, it is estimated that the interview should last for no more than one hour.

4. What is the exclusion criteria (i.e. are there any reasons why I should not take part)?
If you do not personally suffer with eczema and are under the age of 18.

5. Will my participation involve any physical discomfort?
No.

6. Will my participation involve any psychological discomfort or embarrassment?
Due to the personal nature of the topic you may find it uncomfortable to share your experience. However, you do not have to share anything that would make you feel uncomfortable. It is perfectly reasonable and acceptable not to answer a question if you do not want to.

7. How will confidentiality be assured?
You will be allocated a participant code that will always be used to identify any data that you provide. Your name or other personal details will not be associated with your data. Only myself (Ashleigh Gillan) will have access to identifiable information which will be kept on a password protected computer. This will be kept separate from any other data and will be treated in accordance with the Data Protection Act. Such data will then be destroyed once the report is submitted for assessment.

8. Who will have access to the information that I provide?
Any information gathered during this study will only be available to the researcher identified on the information sheet. The research may be used for teaching purposes in future. In such a case your personal information will not be identifiable.

9. How will my information be stored / used in the future?
All information and data gathered during this research will be stored in line with the Data Protection Act and will be destroyed upon submission of report for in class assesment. During that time the data may be used by members of the research team only for purposes appropriate to the research question, but at no point will your personal information or data be revealed. Insurance companies and employers will not be given any individual’s information, samples, or test results, and nor will we allow access to the police, security services, social services, relatives or lawyers, unless forced to do so by the courts.

10. Has this investigation received appropriate ethical clearance?
The study has received ethical approval from my class supervisor Amy Fielden (a.fielden@northumbria.ac.uk) for the purpose of class assessment only.

11. Will I receive any financial rewards / travel expenses for taking part?
N/A

12. How can I withdraw from the project?
If, for any reason, you wish to withdraw your data please contact the investigator within a month of your participation. After this date, it may not be possible to withdraw your individual data as the results may have been submitted for assessment. As all data are anonymised, your individual data will not be identifiable in any way. This research will be highly valued by the principle investigator, if you have any questions or concerns please discuss them with the researcher. However, if you feel that you do not wish to take any further part in the research, please contact the researcher. From there your withdrawal will be arranged and you can discuss how you would like your data to be treated in the future. After you have completed the research you can still withdraw your data by contacting one of the research team their contact details are provided in the section below, give them your them your name.

13. If I require further information who should I contact and how?
Please contact Ashleigh Gillan at ashleigh.gillan@northumbria.ac.uk

2 posts