Forum interview help appreciated! :)

Moderators: talkhealth, Marcie Mom, AnnaB, StephanieJae, Koh Ming Shao

4 posts
ashresearch

by ashresearch on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:55 am

Forum interview help appreciated! :)

Hello guys,

I'm conducting a little bit of reserach for an in class assignment Please see post 'help needed for research into eczema' for much more detail. I had originally planned to conduct interviews over e-mail. However, i've had no interest. Would anyone be interested in answering a few questions within this thead. The questions are as follows:

1) Can you share experience of eczema before you were formally diagnosed by a general practitioner?
2) Did you visit the doctor with the problem more than once before they knew what was wrong?
3) Can you describe your understanding of eczema after the first time 1st diagnosis?
4) How would you describe your understanding of the condition after 1st diagnosis and how does that compare to your understanding now?
5) Could you describe the relationship your doctor and share opinion on their advice?
6) Do you look anywhere else for advice?
a) (if yes) Could you comment of some of the reasons for looking for alternative help?
7) Do you feel that a forum can offer you something that the GP cannot?
8) Are you aware or do you have any knowledge or have you tried any alternative treatments?
a) (if yes) Share experience with them and explain confidence in those
b) (If yes) How have you found out about these alternative therapies?

I would be extremley grateful if anyone was willing to help out
Ashleigh

Mr. T

by Mr. T on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:35 pm

Re: Forum interview help appreciated! :)

1) Can you share experience of eczema before you were formally diagnosed by a general practitioner?

I had little to no allergies until I was around 17 years old (I'm 28 now). One day, I woke up sneezing uncontrollably, and had allergies ever since. Then, around 20 or 21 years of age, I started developing these tiny rash-like bumps on my hands and wrists. I assumed they were caused by the dish-washing chemicals used at work so I started using gloves when I washed the dishes. The bumps got a little better, but were still there. After a while, I started developing oozing patches on my hands...

2) Did you visit the doctor with the problem more than once before they knew what was wrong?

I visited a doctor, and was given prednisone to take care of the rashes and sores. The doctor didn't know it was eczema at the time (most won't, it takes an experienced dermatologist to recognize eczema).

3) Can you describe your understanding of eczema after the first time 1st diagnosis?

I still didn't quite understand what the eczema was, the causes for the rashes, and "why me(?)"... It took a few years of researching, dermatologist visits, and the personal experience that comes from dealing with the skin disease before I gained a much better understanding of eczema and ways to better treat it.

4) How would you describe your understanding of the condition after 1st diagnosis and how does that compare to your understanding now?

I understand it WAY better than before, although it's still hard to keep under "control". I still have bumps and rashes here and there, as well as weeping flare-ups from time to time.

5) Could you describe the relationship your doctor and share opinion on their advice?

Doctors are doctors. Some are almost mechanical in their ways of helping people, but I don't blame them. They are our heroes, and I would be worn out as well if I had to constantly share the pain of others. As well as troubleshoot the issues of someone else's body. They care about us, despite the way they act sometimes. The relationships with some dermatologists are the same, except for the last one I had right before I moved. I will miss her...

The advice given from dermatologists is to not use fragrances, do not use bleach and regular detergents (only fragrance free), try to avoid direct sunlight at times (depending on medications used), and have allergen tests taken.

6) Do you look anywhere else for advice?

I've found this site recently. I've done research online and tried many things for my skin. Sometimes we are our best advisors for what is good and bad for our skin, as the doctors and dermatologists are not around 24/7. I've visited MANY websites talking about eczema and possible treatments.

a) (if yes) Could you comment of some of the reasons for looking for alternative help?
You look for alternative help because you are lost. I had hit a brick wall, and wanted to know what other products or natural remedies there might be for handling my eczema.

7) Do you feel that a forum can offer you something that the GP cannot?

I think that the GP's and alternative outside sources go hand-in-hand. The GP's will not know everything there is to know. None of us can... We could always use some extra ideas or assistance from others who have experienced what we go through.

8) Are you aware or do you have any knowledge or have you tried any alternative treatments?

Yes.

a) (if yes) Share experience with them and explain confidence in those

I've tried many different products and alternative natural remedies. Each of us have different reactions from our particular case of eczema. The only way to know what works for you is to try different things, and wait... My confidence lies with whatever products do not cause immediate allergic reactions, swelling, or redness. Confidence will be gained in the products that make the swelling go down, stop the weeping and oozing sores, make the rashes go away (or at least go down quite a bit), and soothe. The soothing feeling is very important to an eczema sufferer.

b) (If yes) How have you found out about these alternative therapies?

I found out my coming across different ideas on websites. I tried just asking people I knew, but found that most people will throw out ideas that have to do with rashes and such that are NOT eczema related. So that typically does no good. Had a lot of people try to help me with ideas for products that were actually meant for psoriasis, not eczema. I tried a lotion one time that was actually meant for psoriasis and my skin felt like it was on fire! I though maybe that was normal, so I tried it a few more times. After it wasn't helping, I stopped torturing myself with that product. These are the painful personal experiences which help us learn about our skin disease.

I hope I am not too late on this. Sorry I didn't see it sooner!

ashresearch

by ashresearch on Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:01 pm

Re: mr t

Thank you very much for your invaluable input! assignment is not due untill late Jan still plenty of time for replies.

Thanks again :)

Mr. T

by Mr. T on Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:53 pm

Re: Forum interview help appreciated! :)

Not a problem, Ashleigh. Glad I could help!

4 posts