Lightening Patchy Skin

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with vitiligo, ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
BandyGirl

by BandyGirl on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Lightening Patchy Skin

About a year ago I noticed my underarms were really white. I then noticed the skin on my hands was very patchy. I now have this in the crooks of my arms and also at the top of my thighs. My GP has ruled out Malasmo (which my Sister suffered free a couple of tears ago. I have a dermatologist appointment at the end of the month. Any ideas as to what this could be and causes it. It doesn't itch and I am not conscious of it at this stage but do worry about further progression.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Lightening Patchy Skin

Hello,

this sounds like possible vitiligo although it is difficult to make a diagnosis without seeing you in person. I am afraid the course of vitligo may be unpredictable. But if it is vitiligo a few treatments can be tried including tacrolimus (Protopic) ointment or UVB phototherapy.

I hope this might be of help.

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

BandyGirl

by BandyGirl on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:44 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate that without seeing my skin it is hard to diagnose. I did try to upload a photo but didn't have any luck! My GP ruled out Vitiligo along with Malasmo. He was rather intrigued, and said was very interested to know how I get on at the skin clinic he was referring me to!

I shall try uploading another photo!

BandyGirl

by BandyGirl on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:49 pm

You mention UVB. Could taking Melatonin affect my skin?

Thank you

BandyGirl

by BandyGirl on Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:18 am

I attach a photo:
Attachments
WP_20160913_00_11_31_Pro (3).jpg
WP_20160913_00_11_31_Pro (3).jpg (241.17 KiB) Viewed 2860 times

5 posts