lichen simplex

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with vitiligo, ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
jacey1

by jacey1 on Thu Sep 08, 2016 2:04 am

lichen simplex

what can I use for my lichen simplex.
I use epaderm cream and Haelan Tape - but there is a shortage of Haelan Tape due to a manufacturing problem at Typharm Limited.
I have been prescribed Mometasone Furoate cream but this does not have the same effect as the Haelan Tape.
I have had this for years and was diagnosed by dermatologist via a biopsy and whenever one patch clears another appears and I am Never clear of sores. Please can someone help me. :?

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:46 pm

Re: lichen simplex

Hi Jacey
I am sorry to hear you are having a difficult time with lichen simplex. This is made even more difficult for your when the treatment you find helpful is no longer available - I am aware there is a major supply issue with the adhesive tape used in the Haelan tape product and there is no firm indication of when the produce will be available again. Haelan tape is a tape impreganted with moderate steroid which can be applied for 12 hours and is very helpful in treating with an occlusive steroid and preventing damage from scratching. Mometasone is a potent steroid cream, so even though it is stronger, because it is not occluded, is possibly not as effective. A practical solution for you is to ask your GP to prescribe DuoDerm Extra Thin, which is a thin hydrocolloid dressing, you can apply the steroid under DuoDerm (cut into circular patches) for 2-3 days, it is waterproof so you can wash with it in place. Just a caution that steroids applied under occlusion become stronger, so it is important to please discuss with your GP, who may advise on reducing to a moderately potent steroid cream under occlusion. DuoDerm can also be purchased from a pharmacy, but may need to be ordered in, if possible ask to buy one 10 x 10 cm sheet, to try and see if this works for you. Do also keep using lots of emollients for washing and moisturising and avoid soap and cosmetic washes.I hope this helps.
Julie
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

2 posts