Hair issue

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with vitiligo, ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Sana waheed

by Sana waheed on Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Hair issue

Good evening
I dont know if its skin related issue or something else but I wanted to discuss and find solution.
I am 30 yrs old and going bald. I am losing my hair. And other problem with me is facial hair. They are increasing. I had few hair on my chin, I used to pluck them and now I have lots of them.
My friend suggested me to take Biotin for hair loss. She said its the food for hair. My concern is that if I take biotin for my hair loss, will it affect my facial hair growth. I am worried that biotin might increase my facial hair also. Is it possible?
Regards
Sana

Dr Anjali Mahto

by Dr Anjali Mahto on Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Hair issue

Dear Sana,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your question about scalp hair loss and increased facial hair growth. There are a number of reasons that scalp hair loss can occur. From the combination of symptoms you describe, I think it is a good idea that your hormonal profile amongst other blood tests are checked.

Ideally you need to see your GP or get referred to a dermatologist so a thorough assessment can be made of your medical history and the pattern of hair loss that you exhibit. There are crucial questions dermatologists would ask you in clinic including (but not exhaustive) -
Is there any family history of hair loss?
Are you vegetarian or vegan?
Are your periods very heavy?
Is there any redness/itching/scaling of your scalp before the hair loss occurs?
Do you have any problems with your thyroid gland? Does anyone else in your family?
Are there any other symptoms to suggest a condition known as polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)?

You will then need an examination of the affected areas to determine whether the scalp itself is healthy or not and what the pattern and distribution of your hair loss is, as this can often also give underlying clues to the diagnosis.

Following this the next steps usually involve a number of blood tests to check for things like the function of your thyroid gland, your vitamin B12, folic acid and iron levels to name a few. In your case I would also suggest a hormone profile to screen for PCOS as this can sometimes be associated with increased body hair (hirsutism) but reduced scalp hair (female pattern hair loss).

Once more information has been gathered then an accurate assessment and diagnosis can be made. I would therefore urge you to book an appointment with your GP to discuss these issues further and allow an examination to take place. If your GP has any concerns then he or she may refer you to a dermatologist.

I hope this information helps and good luck.

Best wishes,

Anjali
Dr Anjali Mahto
Consultant Dermatologist and British Skin Foundation spokesperson
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _mahto.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:25 am

Dear Sana,

I fully agree with my colleague that it is very important to make a correct diagnosis because treatments would depend on the cause of your condition(s) (there are a number of treatments available including but not limited to topical minoxidil for hair loss, laser treatment for hair removal and so on). I see a lot of patients with hair loss so I understand how distressing this condition is!

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP(UK) FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

Sana waheed

by Sana waheed on Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks a lot for your replies.
I would definitely book an appointment with my GP.
What about Biotin? should I have it for my scalp hair? Would it affect my facial hair as well, as in would it increase facial hair growth?

4 posts