Alopecia Areata 9 year old girl

Do you have a question related to a skin condition that doesn't fit in any of the other boards? Perhaps you're living with vitiligo, ichthyosis, hyperhidrosis or something else we've not covered? Your questions and discussions can be posted here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
lisablsx

by lisablsx on Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:48 am

Alopecia Areata 9 year old girl

Hi there

I have a nine year old girl who was diagnosed with alopecia areata 4 and a half weeks ago. Since then she's had a blood test last week which which had come back saying her iron is a bit low and we're still waiting for a coeliac screen to come back.
I went back to the GP yesterday who can offer me nothing except to say there's no treatment and nothing they can dot. I do understand this but at the same time I have a nine year old who still has to get up and go to school and I'm struggling to cope with it let alone know how to deal with it with her. There must be some next steps and support out there especially for a child having to deal with this. Should she be referred to a dermatologist?
She started with a few round bald patches that were the size of a pound coin, four and a half weeks later about the bottom quarter of her head is almost all bald and she's got so many new patches that at this rate I'm worried in another four weeks she'll have nothing left. It's coming out fast and I want to be one step ahead of it but without any advice or help or support I'm a bit lost!
This is not to mention the psychological effect this is beginning to have on her. She's already said she doesn't want anyone at school to know as she'll be bullied and asked if it gets worse could she have a wig.
Any help or advice would be gratefully received!
Thanks

Julie Van Onselen

by Julie Van Onselen on Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:43 pm

Re: Alopecia Areata 9 year old girl

Dear Lisa
I am sorry to hear about your daughter and her hair loss; this must be incredibly distressing for your daughter and also you. I agree with you that your GP should consider dermatology referral; if your daughter has a diagnosis of alopecia areata, and has bald patches, she should be referred to a dermatologist for assessment. This is important to exclude any genetic reasons and your your daughter needs support in dealing with the psychological issues. Therefore, a condition with no defined treatment, does not mean referral should not be considered, as holistic care is incredibly important.
I would also advise that you contact Alopecia UK for more support generally; this is a support group for people with alopecia and you can find out more at http://www.alopeciaonline.org.uk/support-and-advice.asp
I hope this helps and wish you and your daughter all the best.
Julie
Julie Van Onselen
Independent Dermatology Nurse
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... nselen.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:39 pm

Dear Lisa,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter and her hair loss! Treating patients with alopecia is my special interest. I am afraid alopecia areata is common but fortunately there is a spontaneous regrowth in majority of patients within 12 months. And there are treatments available to speed up regrowth and also for resistant to treatment alopecia areata. Topical corticosteroids (scalp applications, creams, ointments or shampoo) can be tried to speed up regrowth. Because these treatments are very powerful they have to be administered under a careful medical supervision. If alopecia areata is resistant to treatment then topical diphencyprone immunotherapy can be used. There are a few hospitals in the UK where it is available including our hospital.
I would suggest to ask your GP to refer you to a dermatologist. And I also second suggestion of Julia about contacting Alopecia UK.

If it is of any interest there is more information about alopecia areata and available treatments including diphencyprone immunotherapy on my website: www.alexandroff.org.uk

I hope this might be helpful.

with very best wishes,

Dr Anton Alexandroff CCT(Dermatol) FRCP FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist and Senior Lecturer
Member of British Association of Dermatologists
De Montfort University, Leicester Spire Hospital, Leicester Nuffield Health Hospital, Bedford BMI Manor Hospital
www.alexandroff.org.uk
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

lisablsx

by lisablsx on Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:38 pm

Thank you both so much for your responses. I will definitely be pushing for a referral. I have already joined the Alopecia U.K. Forums and groups and found them to be useful.
Many thanks once agin for your replies.
Lisa

4 posts