yoga at home!

Moderator: talkhealth

64 posts
shyamali

by shyamali on Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:15 am

Re: yoga at home!

The only thing left to do is get started! But remember, as with everything, there's a learning curve. "Be gentle with yourself and accept where you are every step of the way," Parker says. "It's a practice, so it builds upon itself. Your mind and your body are united as you flow through the poses. Connect with your breath and experience the incredible realm of yoga, flow, and connection."

Dennise17

by Dennise17 on Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:18 am

essentialproducts wrote:Ashtanga Guru Pattabhi Jois' most famous quote is “Practice and all is coming”. With these words, I believe he means that by consistently opening the body and mind through yoga, truth reveals itself to you in time, and with truth comes a deep peace.

For many of us, a regular yoga practice may be a difficult thing to establish. Here are some tips to help you get started.

1. Create a comfortable spot for your yoga practice
If you have an extra room that you can devote to your yoga, great! Having your yoga mat unrolled and out all the time is certainly inviting.

Most of us, however, have to be more flexible and create a space when we want to practise. Try and find a spot where it's peaceful and quiet, with as much space around you as possible. An empty piece of wall can be handy too since the wall is a great prop. If you like, it can be nice and even helpful to create some atmosphere with a candle or an incense stick.

Things like candles and incense are just extras, and by no means necessary to practise yoga. You can do yoga anywhere as long as you have enough space around you without the risk of bumping into tables, chairs, etc. I've practised in the living room with my husband there, having his breakfast and reading the paper, even commenting now and then. Not ideal, but I still got my practice in, which is the most important message of this article.

So be creative and get on your mat no matter what! Create the best space you can and enjoy your practice!

2. Get your yoga accessories
All you really need is a yoga mat, preferably non-slip. The yoga mat market is huge but it's worth paying a little more for a good quality mat that suits your needs and will last a long time. Blocks are a great addition but they can be replaced with books and other household things. A bolster is also nice to have, but for years I used a stack of pillows and blankets instead.

Accessories and even a yoga mat are by no means a prerequisite to practise: I have been in places where there was no yoga mat, and I found a piece of carpet to practise on. I've even practised on beds in hotel rooms where there was no space to roll out a mat. Just be creative... no excuses :-)

3. Stay safe, prevent injury
This is one tip with no shortcuts. Always watch your boundaries and especially be mindful of your body’s vulnerable areas. Particularly vulnerable areas are knees, hips, spine and neck. If you feel any painful sensations, adjust, soften, come out of the pose if you need to. Don’t force or push.

Warm up your body properly before attempting more advanced poses, and keep checking in if it feels okay to be in a pose. Be especially mindful during transitions between poses or when moving in or out of poses - these are moments of a potential risk of injury because we tend to pay less attention to our alignment.

4. Choose your yoga style / routine
What are you going to do when you are on your mat? The first question to ask is..... “What do my body and mind need?”

Something active to get the juices flowing or something more soft, restorative, to quiet your body and mind? If you don’t know, you can let us help you find your style or use our 'Surprise me' button. The more you do yoga, the more you learn the effects of different practices and the more you learn to recognise what it is your body and mind need at different times.

If you pick an online class, don’t get stuck in reading too many class descriptions. The nature of the mind is to look for the perfect class to solve everything. That class doesn’t exist; you have to make it yourself. You can also decide to pick a yoga programme where we've put together a series of classes that fit well together or choose from Collections, playlists of classes your fellow members and EkhartYoga teachers have compiled.

Pick a style, teacher, specific use and preferred class duration (or any one of these combinations) from the dropdown menus on the classes page, look for a title that speaks to you and go for it! The way you make the class perfect for you is through practising with full awareness, with as little resistance as possible. If there is a part you don’t like, breathe through it and observe your reactions. Remember that how you react on the mat seeps through in how you react in daily life. In daily life, you will also come across situations you don’t like and choose not to change or are unable to change. Remember Pattabhi Jois' words - “Do your practice and all is coming".

In time, your yoga practice on your mat will teach you to surrender more and more to what is. You will learn to stop resisting what is and to stop trying to change things. Next, you will be able to apply that perspective more in your life off the mat. The peace that comes from being able to accept what is will be great, I promise.

5. Always relax with Savasana
It is really important to give your body time to relax in Savasana after a yoga practice. The nervous system needs time to assimilate the benefits it has gained during the practice. You can otherwise feel unnecessarily wired after a yoga practice, especially after an intense yoga class.

6. Practise yoga regularly
Even practising yoga once a week is beneficial! Three times a week is great, every day is great too. What works for you? If it’s very important for you to achieve goals, then it is much better to set a goal of practising three times a week, being able to do it and feeling proud of yourself, than to set a goal to practise every day and feeling bad if you do only three times a week. A feeling of failure usually just makes you skip practices even more. So, be honest, set realistic goals, and do what you can. A 10 minute yoga practice is still a practice and definitely counts.

7. Enjoy your practice!
Don’t overdo it; if you don’t enjoy your yoga practice you will never keep it up. It should be something you look forward to doing. Maybe try another style of yoga or teacher if you feel like yoga is becoming a chore.

8. So get on your mat, practise, and all will come...
x
Esther

*This article, originally published in March 2013, has been updated.
thank you for this thread

RoyParker

by RoyParker on Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:25 am

Yes, I have also heard about Yogaia. In fact, I have read couple of their articles, and I must say they are good. Yoga may sound a very simple workout, but they can give amazing result. Although it is beneficial for everyone, people in their late 30s and early 40s can delay the natural aging process with its help. I recently read two articles on yoga - '6 anti-aging yoga poses to keep you young' on Best Health and '21 Yoga Poses for Anti Aging – Yoga Turns the Clock Back' on zovon. Both these write ups have beautifully explained the importance of yoga to stay young and fit.

eblclinic
Location: 2389 Major Mackenzie Drive, Unit 301, Maple, Ontario, Canada

by eblclinic on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:18 am

Yes, you can do yoga at home according to your schedule. yoga is an excellent form of exercise for mind and body and it is helpful to relieve stress.

daniel011

by daniel011 on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:17 am

Thanks for sharing. It is an awesome list that will certainly help a beginner to set up their own routine. And I suggest some Yoga tips to all help a beginner.
https://zovon.com/health-news/expert-zo ... art-today/

Drlalchandanilab

by Drlalchandanilab on Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:09 pm

I think Yoga is a group of physical, mental, and spiritual practices or disciplines which originated in ancient India.

Richa_94

by Richa_94 on Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:50 am

Thanks for sharing a website which is related to yoga it will definitely help them who are looking for information related to yoga.Yoga not only helps us to cure certain physical ailments it definitely helps us to achieve mental fitness.
“It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.”

Buddy Hughes

by Buddy Hughes on Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:14 am

Hi,
Being a regular yogi i find it quiet helpful to get rid of your mental stress & issues get freshness in your mind but at the same time when you do yoga practice via video or webcam i don't think its the right way to do it because you have certain positions and pattern you need to follow where when you do via DVD or webcam it may not be get corrected. Later if you get into some kind of trouble there is nobody to blame for.

Thanks.

BernardRichhi

by BernardRichhi on Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:51 am

Hi
I have migraine and the pain usually happens when i cant get sleep well and after travelling.
I don't get proper time for daily routine due to my job and so if i want to do yoga even I can't manage the time. so please help me and give me some other idea of how to get relief from migraine.
Bernard Richhi Head Nurse at Nursing Home for Elders in UK

ericpartlu

by ericpartlu on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:13 pm

Yoga is the best exercise, which helps to calm you mind and make you stress free. It also controls you blood circulation and prevents heart attack problems. Do Yoga in a regular routine that's suitable for your body and it will make you fit mentally as a well physically.

64 posts