How to get rid of an annoying cough

Moderator: talkhealth

11 posts
Starwars

by Starwars on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 pm

How to get rid of an annoying cough

I have a cold and cough for over a month and I have tried various medication such as paracetemol, nasal and throat spray, honey and lemon, lozenges, vicks inhaler but I feel terrible and feel that the virus is taken over my body and makes me feel tired, have aches and pains, going hot and cold, headaches, constant coughing, sniffly nose, slight earache.

If anybody has any suggestions on how I can feel better please. I would be most grateful as my doctor would not give me any advice and has requested a blood test. :x

HealthCallDubai

by HealthCallDubai on Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:39 am

Re: How to get rid of an annoying cough

I have read your specification in detail, You have to consult a doctor on call he will take some test and then he will advice you.

PaulWhite

by PaulWhite on Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:04 pm

1. Stay hydrated: Drink lots of water to thin mucus.
2. Inhale steam: Take a hot shower, or boil water and pour into a bowl, face the bowl (stay at least 1 foot away), place a towel over the back of your head to form a tent and inhale. Stop at any time if you feel uncomfortable. Note: do not do this if cough is due to asthma, as steam may make symptoms worse.
3. Use a humidifier to loosen mucus.
4. Cough drops or lozenges soothe an irritated throat (do not use in young children).
5. Saltwater gargle clears mucus from the throat.
6. Use an extra pillow to elevate your head at night.
7. Don't smoke and avoid secondhand smoke.
8. Avoid inhaled irritants such as dust, perfumes, or pollutants.
9. Use honey. It can be used alone in adults and children over 1 year of age, and acts as a cough suppressant.
10. Ginger tea soothes throat inflammation.
11. Eucalyptus oil: Use it in a vaporizer or rub on your chest to help break up mucus.
12. Mint: Often taken as a tea, it helps loosen mucus in the lungs.
13. Menthol is commonly found in lozenges, and it can soothe a cough.
14. Licorice root acts as an expectorant.
15. Slippery elm coats and soothes the throat.
16. Apple cider vinegar (diluted or mixed with honey) helps thin mucus.
17. Turmeric may help ease digestive problems and can help if cough is caused by GERD.
18. Chicken soup may ease symptoms of upper respiratory tract infections.
19. And because we saved the best for last...save some chocolate! Theobromide, and ingredient in chocolate, may actually suppress vagus nerve activity that causes coughing.

katebrownell

by katebrownell on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:19 pm

A hot shower is very effective to get rid of cough. Another natural remedy is, take boil water into a bowl, wear a towel over the back of your head to form a tent and inhale the vape coming from 1 feet distance. Don't do this if you are suffering from asthma.

MollieRhodes

by MollieRhodes on Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:39 pm

Having warm food & drinks can really help in soothing sore throat and cough, so consuming homemade antiviral tea, hot soups etc is recommended. Get creative with herbs like basil, ginger, lemon, garlic in your tea or soup.
Another remedy is Gargling. Gargling with warm water helps a lot. You should add Sea Salt and Turmeric to the warm water.
Also, drink lots of water it helps to thin mucus and if possible drink warm water it is very much helpful.

As you are having cough and other symptoms for a long time it is highly recommended to consult your doctor first.

Take care & Get Well Soon!
Aryan Herbals UK - Supplier and Manufacturer of Herbal Juices and Herbal Powders

joanna911

by joanna911 on Wed May 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Maybe try Methylene Blue + Infrared light. I saw a research article mentioned it actually cure some respiratory issue.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:13 pm

Starwars wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:35 pm
I have a cold and cough for over a month and I have tried various medication such as paracetemol, nasal and throat spray, honey and lemon, lozenges, vicks inhaler but I feel terrible and feel that the virus is taken over my body and makes me feel tired, have aches and pains, going hot and cold, headaches, constant coughing, sniffly nose, slight earache.

If anybody has any suggestions on how I can feel better please. I would be most grateful as my doctor would not give me any advice and has requested a blood test. :x
Most of the things you have tried are for coughs, coughs can stem from bacteria or from cold weather. Colds do not take over all the body, most of time. They can do, but recovery is close when that happens. I am speaking from personal experience. The cold will go away, work on your immune system, that matters most when it comes to things like colds and infections, etc.

CharlieScott

by CharlieScott on Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:07 pm

If you are looking at natural remedies, I would suggest a mixture of honey, ginger juice, and basil juice. An old Indian lady (a former landlady) suggested this to me since I would suffer from an irritating cough every year during the onset of winter. This remedy helped me a lot. But I still have to look for cold humid winds (I check that on weather apps like climacell) during the onset of winter. If I notice such conditions outside, I cover my nose (which happens automatically now, thanks to Covid). I know thins a very late reply, but it might help someone else too.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:16 pm

I second PaulWhite's post. It was written a fair time ago but is excellent advice.

Definitely take his advice if you're suffering a bad cough.

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:08 pm

Try salty water or chocolate.

11 posts