Possible antibiotic resistance for tooth abscess?

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Ross85357

by Ross85357 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:50 am

Possible antibiotic resistance for tooth abscess?

I am a twenty-one year old male who currently has a tooth abscess that has spread to other areas of my body. I also have tonsillitis. In August of 2019, my tonsils became painful and inflamed and I found swallowing food difficult. I also developed a fever and was physically sick and noticed white spots on my tonsils. I went to my GP practice and the GP diagnosed me with tonsillitis and prescribed me with ten days worth of phenoxymethylpenicillin which effectively cleared up the infection.

In February of 2020 I once again had painful inflamed tonsils and had difficulty swallowing. I went back to my GP practice and was seen by a different GP who diagnosed me with tonsillitis for the seond time and I was once again given ten days worth of phenoxymethylpenicillin. However, after finishing one out of the three boxes of the penicillin, I forgot about the other two boxes and found them in my bottom drawer ten days later. I then finished the two remaining boxes over the course of several days. This did not clear up the infection.

I have also had a lump at the back of my mouth near my bottom left very back tooth for several months that I have bitten down on when eating on a few occaisons that has been temporarily very painful. Aside from that, the lump in my mouth near my tooth caused me no pain. However, over the past two weeks, the lump has become considerably more painful and over the past week or so the pain has spread to both of my ears, tongue, throat, jaw, chest, stomach, arms and back. This worried me so I contacted NHS 24 who reffered me to an out of hours service at my local hospital and I was seen by a doctor who prescribed a different type of penicillin, amoxicillin to treat both my tonsillitis and tooth abscess. The prescription was for seven days, it is now day five and I do not feel better at all. My entire body, especially my ears, neck, throat, chest, stomach and the inside of my mouth on both sides as well as my tongue are in agony with aches and pains. I have taken three to four doses of paracetomal as I was recommended to everyday since I can't take ibuprofen and has only on some occaisons slightly eased the pain but still left me in agony.

My biggest worry is that the bacteria in my body is not being killed by the amoxicillin since it is in the same group of penicillin drugs as phenoxmethylpenicillin that did not cure my tonsillitis the second time. I don't know if a doctor prescribing a different type of antibiotic that is not of the penicillin class would work, or if getting emergency treatment by a dentist to drain the abscess would be effective. With all of the GP surgeries and dentists closed due to coronavirus, I am becoming increasingly worried about my tooth abscess infection that is now causing my agony all over my body from my head right down to my pelvis. I really need this abscess treated very soon before I become more ill. How do I go about getting an emergency dental appointment? Should I call NHS24 again and tell them my infection is worsening and I am in even more pain?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Possible antibiotic resistance for tooth abscess?

Hi Ross85357

We are very sorry to hear about your infection from your tooth abscess, which is causing widespread inflammation in other areas of the body at this very unfortunate time.

Sadly, we are unable to give out specific medical advice to you but urge you to call 111 where they will be able to connect you to an emergency dentist or to a GP who can re-assess the situation.

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-se ... e/nhs-111/

Alternatively, perhaps you can call your own GP surgery for a telephone appointment where you can explain that your symptoms are worsening and that the antibiotics are not helping.

We hope you are able to get this under control very soon.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

2 posts