Blood test results

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Milkycatplanet

by Milkycatplanet on Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Blood test results

Hi,

New here, slightly nervous!

I'd been suffering from bowel and stomach problems for a few weeks, intermittent diahrea and constipation. My Doctor did blood tests (Complete Blood count etc).

The results came back 5 days later, and the surgery text me to ring in to book a follow up appointment with a nurse to discuss the results. They booked me in for 2 weeks times.

I'm incredibly nervous as to what they found, and I'm constantly worried and stressed whilst I wait for these 2 weeks to pass. I'm not good with all things health related, I panic.

Is it normal to wait 2 weeks for a follow up? How concerned can they be if A) the Doctor doesn't want to see me, the nurse does. B) They're not rushing me back in.

I hope someone with some medical experience can shed some light on this for me please.

Thank you so much in advance.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:51 am

Re: Blood test results

Hi Milkycatplanet,

A warm welcome to you from all of us here at talkhealth, please dont be nervous :)

Thank you for posting your first post regarding your blood test results.

Unfortunately we are unable to give out specific medical advice but hopefully someone in our community may be able to help you. Each surgery will be different but it could be that at the moment with the current pandemic, that two weeks is the earliest that they can see you. However, it may be worth contacting your GP surgery and saying that you are very nervous regarding your results which aren't helping your symptoms, and would appreciate it if one of the duty team could quickly call you back to let you know if your results are something to worry about. They should be able to do that without you having to wait 2 weeks to see them.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:28 pm

I am sorry for your illness, milkycatplanet. Don't be scared of your blood test results: it is better to know than not know. But you're not alone with your bowel and stomach problems: such health problems are actually on the increase.

To treat diarrhoea, there is a medication called "Imodium Plus". It is available in regular supermarkets and you don't need a prescription. Your doctor can prescribe regular Imodium, however. But - in the case of emergencies - Imodium Plus in your friend.

When you're suffering from gas, then you need to avoid foods that trigger the gas. If you're allergic to wheat or cereal, then don't eat those foods. You will have to modify your diet and take a note of what foods trigger your bowel problems. Only the right diet will control these issues. My advice - therefore - is to keep a food diary and record what triggers your IBS and what foods keep you normal.

It's a long, hard battle, but with common sense, you'll tackle it with your doctor.

Milkycatplanet

by Milkycatplanet on Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:49 pm

Hi folks,

Thank you so much for replying, it's very very much appreciated. I've taken on board everything that's been said, and am trying to cut down on processed foods, and dairy, as I think they're both triggers for my symptoms. I'm also keeping a diary to try and work out what's going on.

Hope to speak again soon!

Thanks
X

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:11 pm

Milkycatplanet wrote:
Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:33 pm
Hi,

New here, slightly nervous!

I'd been suffering from bowel and stomach problems for a few weeks, intermittent diahrea and constipation. My Doctor did blood tests (Complete Blood count etc).

The results came back 5 days later, and the surgery text me to ring in to book a follow up appointment with a nurse to discuss the results. They booked me in for 2 weeks times.

I'm incredibly nervous as to what they found, and I'm constantly worried and stressed whilst I wait for these 2 weeks to pass. I'm not good with all things health related, I panic.

Is it normal to wait 2 weeks for a follow up? How concerned can they be if A) the Doctor doesn't want to see me, the nurse does. B) They're not rushing me back in.

I hope someone with some medical experience can shed some light on this for me please.

Thank you so much in advance.
It seems to be a more digestive system issue rather than blood issue. If i am wrong its still fixable. You may be required to eat more fibre.

5 posts