Health Anxiety

Moderator: talkhealth

24 posts
juni123456

by juni123456 on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:01 am

Health Anxiety

I lived in NYC for a little over a year now and I have to commute using the subway, which gives me serious anxiety, the city itself already gave me serious anxiety. The smog and pollution levels are really bad sometimes and the subways are dusty and smelly. I cant help but feel paranoid about my health living and working in the city inhaling all these toxic fumes. I cant even sleep well anymore , any advice ?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:45 am

Re: Health Anxiety

Hi juni123456,

Sorry to hear of your health anxiety due to living in the city. Have you tried using an anti pollution mask with filters like the ones that cyclists wear, which should cut out most of the pollution entering your lungs when you're travelling around the city.

Also you may wish to consider an air purifer with a HEPA filter for your home. We can't unfortunately advise on specific ones, but there are various options on offer which you can research on the internet. Certain house plants can also help with nutralising the air in your home. There are plenty of articles on the web regarding those too.

Hope that helps! :)
Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:09 pm

juni123456 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:01 am
I lived in NYC for a little over a year now and I have to commute using the subway, which gives me serious anxiety, the city itself already gave me serious anxiety. The smog and pollution levels are really bad sometimes and the subways are dusty and smelly. I cant help but feel paranoid about my health living and working in the city inhaling all these toxic fumes. I cant even sleep well anymore , any advice ?
Relax and remember that the same disadvantages that are in NYC are in London, and Mexico, and Singapore, etc. Just stay safe and relax your mind and perhaps see a therapist if it gets too bad. I havent heard of pollution killing anyone. Just remain safe and take precautions if you need to. Good luck.

Abigail Wenderson

by Abigail Wenderson on Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:18 pm

juni123456 wrote:
Hi Juni,

Many cities have the same problem of smog and pollution, you need to stay safe. Take proper precautions, don't think too much, and try to relax. If it gets more serious, consult with a therapist regarding the same.

Stay strong and safe.

isabellsophie

by isabellsophie on Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:46 am

Sorry to hear about your concern about your health due to living in the city. Have you tried using an anti-pollution mask with philters such as the ones that cyclists wear, and when you ride around the city can cut out much of the pollution entering your lungs? You may also want to suggest an air purifier for your home that has a HEPA philter. Unfortunately, we do not advise on particular ones, but there are different choices on offer that you can study on the internet. Some house plants will also help to nourish the air in your house. There are plenty of posts on the web about them as well.
Last edited by isabellsophie on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

scilover

by scilover on Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:37 am

The exposure to poor quality air can increase the stress hormone cortisol, which can influence risk perception and increase anxiety, leading to an increase in crime on polluted days.

You can try on checking daily air pollution forecasts in your area. The color-coded forecasts can let you know when the air is unhealthy in your community. By then you will feel better and have a better plan when the air is high-risk polluted.

Alessandro01

by Alessandro01 on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:15 pm

Health anxiety is very real and quite common. I went through a period years ago where I was always "finding new symptoms" of something catastrophic. I did the whole dr google thing too. And yes, ended up in emergency because surely I was having a heart attack. And nothing was wrong. I still have it to a mild degree. The only thing I did differently after the visit to emergency was not to indulge my thoughts. I decided not to put a microscope over every little feeling/twinge/something or other, and to just try to get on with my day. Perhaps easier said than done, but it has reduced my anxiety around my health immensely.

If it's really affecting your life negatively, I would strongly suggest a chat with your gp and referral to a mental health professional to work on strategies to combat this type of thinking.

MissCandyGirl

by MissCandyGirl on Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:21 pm

That is why I don't live in London. I do not like the city life AT ALL. I also feel claustrophobic in the underground. I think - if you could find out how - perhaps moving to the countryside or market town on the outskirts of where you are, would be best. You're obviously not happy about living in a city. And you don't have to live in the city. You DO have choices. Even people on low incomes manage to move somewhere they much prefer. It doesn't have to be a massive house or anything. I do know you're employed in the city, but you're not happy and it doesn't have to be that way.

I know this isn't the advice you're asking for, but I feel it must be said.

joan de aza

by joan de aza on Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:52 pm

juni123456 wrote:
if you actually look at my advice I would give you regarding your situation is that if you can no longer exercise oh be able to sweat to decongest your lungs oh your skin my advice is to first consume water in normal temperature with 5 drops of lemon in the mornings and before sleep try to do some push-ups before taking a bath and do your best to suffocate your breath to expand any situation in them .... as far as I know this will help you until you can take out time for walks and semi-long jogging so that your body can clean up more profundidad.me you later let it know that you apply it several days to see how it went.att your usual friend.

ayur88807

by ayur88807 on Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:56 am

Psychologists use expressive arts therapy in many settings to help people explore difficult issues in their lives.
Art, music, and dance are forms of creative expression that can help you process and cope with emotional issues, including depression. Expressive therapy goes beyond traditional talk therapy. It focuses on creative outlets as a means of expression. This therapy can be especially helpful for people who find it difficult to talk about their thoughts and emotions.
Expressive Therapy For Depression can include various forms of artistic expression. This can include:
• art
• music
• dance
• drama
• writing and storytelling
In expressive therapy, the therapist encourages you to use these arts to communicate about emotions and life events. These are often subjects that you may find difficult to put into words.

24 posts