single red blotch

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
richard_a

by richard_a on Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:56 am

single red blotch

Hi
I've developed a big red blotch on the back of my leg, over a few days (in the UK). Appx 8cm diameter. I hadn't noticed it, being out of view, so I just scratched it like an insect bite, now it's huge and just slightly sore. It felt like a bite when itching, now it's just hot, muscle slightly swollen above the area. There's no obvious bite swelling. No known allergies. Any advice appreciated.
Thankyou
Attachments
IMG_0692b.jpg
IMG_0692b.jpg (76.01 KiB) Viewed 5611 times

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:21 am

Re: single red blotch

Dear Richard,

Thank you for posting your question and supporting picture.

From the information you have provided and observing the area, I would suggest you make an appointment to see your GP or practice nurse as soon as possible. It may be that the initial cause of the reaction was an insect bite or similar allergic response but I would like you to be seen in case a course of antibiotics are now required to clear this.

In the meantime, an oral antihistamine may be of benefit to reduce the heat and itch caused by this reaction. Usually for skin reactions I would recommend taking one chlorphenamine 4mg tablet up to four times a day. This tablet may cause some drowsiness so do not drive if you are affected by this. If you would prefer a non-drowsy antihistamine, a cetirizine 10mg tablet would be appropriate to take once daily. Both of these tablets are available from your local pharmacy.

I hope that this advice is helpful and you are able to see your GP or practice nurse soon.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

richard_a

by richard_a on Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:00 am

Re: single red blotch

Thanks Sarah.
It started to clear up with antibiotics some days ago. Cellulitis.
Richard

3 posts