Psychological Impact of Scarring

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Joh.Flow

by Joh.Flow on Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Psychological Impact of Scarring

Hi All,

I think the psychological impact of scarring is worth a wider discussion.

I have a 10 inch scar following gynae/abdominal surgery in my early thirties. Don't get me wrong; there was no other option but surgery and I'm grateful for free intervention on the NHS.During the recovery process - the doctor/nurses focus was on how the basics of 'no oozing, bleeding etc'.

No one thought to ask me about where I was 'up to'; in terms of accepting living with such a large (and permanent) scar. No one thought about asking me if I had preference for stitches/staples (I was the one one on the ward with stitches -which my scar grew over and had to be surgically extracted during my next appointment). Or approached me with suggestions on how to use products to help the scar along so that it would be less noticeable later. The feeling was just - 'that's what you have now and what you have to get on with'.

I just wish I could look at the scar and feel like a 'survivor', be proud of my resilience, maybe give it a nick-name etc. - but it just acts as a constant reminder of how poorly I was, my bad experience in hospital, how my ongoing fertility is affected, how my body was battered during the process, how I am less of a woman...

These feelings don't dominate my life- but bring moments of sadness and anger years on.

Sure I can't be the only one.....?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:33 pm

Re: Psychological Impact of Scarring

Hi Joh,

Thank you so much for your thought provoking post! I absolutely agree with you that the consequence of surgery, such as the type you talk about, seems to be an overlooked aspect of preparing patients for surgery and the discussions post surgery, in my experience, do not dwell on scars or how to live with them.

Perhaps those with facial scarring are given more preparation and signposting to resources available, if any of our community can comment on this I hope they will.

In the meantime, Joh I hope you will find our new talkscars hub helpful: https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/talkscars and if you have any ideas on how to make it better, or if you'd be interested in getting involved within the community as a scars ambassador, please do get in touch: sally.philp@talkhealthpartnership.com

With very best wishes,
Sally
talkhealth Community Manager
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Olivia Rendall

by Olivia Rendall on Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:58 am

Hi Joh,

Recently we published a blog as well as an article on the need for psychological support for those that are suffering with skin related issues.

I thought this would be of some benefit to you!

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... -patients/

Thanks very much,

Olivia
talkhealth Project Manager

CazH

by CazH on Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:48 am

Hi Joh,

I just wanted to let you know you're not alone in how you're feeling. I find there's a lot of pressure to be like this warrior person, someone who can say they're proud and stronger for their experiences, scars included. But it's difficult. Not everyone has the same frame of mind or personality to take this approach with the same degree of impetus. It's hard feeling like you don't have someone to confide in about how you feel and therefore feel as though your feelings aren't justified or heard (such as feeling less like a woman). Sending you positive thoughts and a hug, because you're stronger than you think and you've raised some very good points...x

Caz
talkhealth Women's Health, IBS & Mental Health Ambassador
talkhealth blogger

Founder of http://www.invisiblyme.com

charisma1st

by charisma1st on Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:51 am

:roll: :roll: I to agree that more help is needed to help people come to terms with the fact that this/these scar/s is/are going to be a part of you for the rest of your life.
I hate my scars and am sooooo conscious of them whereas I should be proud as I have made it through a horrible life threatening disease. I keep trying to tell myself this but it makes no difference.
My scars have also affected my personal life I have been on my own since acquiring them and don't have the confidence to go out and meet someone because I can't bare the thought of them seeing me without my clothes..people say if it was to bother the other person then they are not worth it..but it's not them it's me! :cry: :(

5 posts