Do scar creams even work?

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Dr Mark Brewin

by Dr Mark Brewin on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:15 am

Re: Do scar creams even work?

Hi there,
I work in Scar Management Clinic at an NHS Trust and keep up-to-date with all the latest literature and publications on any aspect of scar treatment. There is no evidence to suggest that any scar cream is more effective than any other.
It is important that you keep scars moisturised however, particularly when they are in the active (inflammatory or red) stage of healing. This should be done 2-3 times a day. I always recommend that the patient uses a moisturiser that suits their skin. There is no need to spend excessive money on a cream that essentially does the same thing.
I have not heard of Revitol and I would not be able to say if it was good or bad. Certainly there is no evidence. This stems from the fact that it would be extremely difficult and costly to conduct a study as to any cream's effectiveness when compared to another. No pharma company is prepared to stick their neck out here!!
Are you sure that this is a keloid scar? It may just be hypertrophic.
Massage may also help.
Also consider silicon gel or sheeting to lock in the moisture after each application. These can be bought at your local chemist though they are expensive.
Good luck with it.
Thanks
Dr Mark Brewin
Clinical Scientist - BSc (Hons), MSc, MIPEM, PhD
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brewin.php

mariamel17

by mariamel17 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Hello! They will work depending how severe the scars are, but usually, they do. Sometimes creams help to reduce scars but it's not always possible to get rid of the scars completely. I suffered from acne during my teenage years and what helped me to get rid was dermelastic treatment.

emmaclark

by emmaclark on Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:23 pm

hi
Yes, the scar removal products work but they lighten the scars, they never completely make it invisible. Just make sure that whatever you decide to go with should be applied daily.

Thanks

3 posts