Fingertip Wound - Gauze stuck to wound

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
mumphry10

by mumphry10 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Fingertip Wound - Gauze stuck to wound

I sliced the tip of my finger last week, nasty but not bad enough for an E.R. visit. I prayed and once I got the bleeding controlled by applying pressure with a sterilie gauze I noticed the gauze was stuck to the wound.
I ran it under water and tried to loosen it. I pulled a little too hard, the wound opened and started bleeding as much as the first time.

I then applied pressure again with new gauze for half an hour and wrapped the fingertip in a gauze bandage, with some polysporin, and taped it up.

The next day I tried to change the bandage, but it's stuck to the wound pretty good.
I soaked it in warm salt water. I then separated off the gazue layer by layer. It was composed of 3 layers. The first came off easily I just had to cut the ended as it was folded on top of each other. The second took a little wiggle but because I had been soaking it for an hour by this point it came off. I was left with one thin layer covering the wound.

I cleaned it with Hydrogen Peroxide 3%, cut around the wound so the thin layer was only covering the wound. I then put vaseline on it and covered it with a non stick sterile pad and taped it with medical tape.

I had to change the sterile pad and apply hyrogen peroxide then petrolium jelly, day and night for 5 days.
Each day I would twirl the qtip soaked with hydrogen peroxide under the gauze and lift it up slightly.
On the fifth day when I was cleaning the layer came off.

There were still some strands left on the wound but by and large all the gauze was removed. Praise God!

I put some polysporin on it and a regular fingertip bandaid.

Please note my outcome may be different from yours.
Please feel free to add your remedies as I couldnt' find any when I googled this topic except for the advice to soak the wound in salt water and olive oil then go to the ER.

But even after a few hours of that nothing's coming loose.