Extreme depression

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
ArabGirl

by ArabGirl on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:03 pm

Extreme depression

I have been experiencing nervous breakdowns due to the scar on my face. I lash out at my siblings without any provocation. I refuse to go out with my family, and if I do, I am always so self conscious and insecure. I count down the minutes until I can go back home and hide in my room. I can’t focus on anything, I cry whenever I remember how pretty I used to be and how ugly I am now. I am a 21 year old middle eastern girl and have applied to a masters program before getting the scar, but I don’t think that I am able to continue my studies because of my incessant outbursts of emotion. I realize that I have a problem, but I am too ashamed to admit that I need therapy. My parents think that if I become more religious that all of my problems will be solved. Please advise me on what I should do.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: Extreme depression

Hi ArabGirl,

Welcome to the talkhealth forums and thank you for your post.

We are sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Depression and breakdowns as a result of scars are not uncommon and it is good that you have been able to identify these problems in the first instance. We would suggest you seek out support from your GP, they will be able to provide support and advice to help you resolve the situation.

You should not let situations like this get in the way of your own personal development and it is important to approach the situation with a trained medical professional as soon as possible.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
The talkhealth Team
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

kkristy48

by kkristy48 on Thu May 30, 2019 8:18 am

Extreme depression, also known as unipolar or major depressive disorder.
These are the some causes :
Changing your appetite, overeating, or undereating
Deregulating your sleep schedule or offsetting your circadian rhythms

katebrownell

by katebrownell on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:04 am

Depression is a major type of CNS disorder. There is no specific reason for development of depression. In your case you have to think positive and has to discuss with doctor for complete treatment of scars. I believe if you strict on this you can defeat this depression.

letshope

by letshope on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:05 pm

hi arabgirl
i picked at my skin my whole life and now I have large and visible scar tissue from where I used to scratch/pick -pretty much all up my legs which makes me upset looking into the mirror. I also failed to find understanding from my family who said once my problem was "attention-seeking." anyway all this to say that I've tried to accept my body for how it is...I went through a really tough time with my mental health, something like a psychotic break, and I took it out on my body because I had no one else to talk to. I struggled my way out of it on my own because at the time I was convinced "mental health was not real" and I needed to become extremely mentally strong to heal myself basically. Anyways my point is that I am proud of how hard I've fought to become the mentally healthier woman I am today and the scars I try to see as battle scars from that time of my life. That's the perspective I try to see through however I know it's easier said than done and for me its taken a while. I'm in a healthier place now and that's how i feel about it now so I just wanted to share hopefully its helpful. I hope you see better days soon, try not to beat yourself up or let others bring you down it's not worth it and not fair to you.

letshope

by letshope on Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:07 pm

oh and I also wanted to add scar removal is an option too and also therapy maybe at your school is being offered as well..

6 posts