Effective Scar Creams

Moderator: talkhealth

14 posts
phil hill

by phil hill on Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:11 pm

Effective Scar Creams

Which scar creams, if any, are effective?

Nikkit2016

by Nikkit2016 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:47 pm

Re: Effective Scar Creams

Did you manage to find anything? Im currently looking for something to use on my scar too. Ive tried bio oil but I found it burnt my scar

Dr Mark Brewin

by Dr Mark Brewin on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Hello All
There are no scar creams that have been proven to be actively effective on scars. There is very little quality research comparing moisturisers/creams/emollients for scars. At our scar management clinic in Salisbury, we advise the use of simple water-based moisturisers. The important thing here is to keep the scar moisturised. Do not let the scar dry out and it is usually only necessary to moisturise 2-3 times a day. We do not recommend any particular skin creams but generally advise a cream that "works for them". There is no need to spend vast sums of money on creams either.
Dr Mark Brewin
Clinical Scientist - BSc (Hons), MSc, MIPEM, PhD
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... brewin.php

phil hill

by phil hill on Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:50 pm

Thanks Mark,

You've saved me a lot of money.

phil hill

by phil hill on Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:10 am

Hello Dr Brewin,

Thanks again for the reply. I was asking on behalf of my mum, who has an old scar across her nose.

Do web-based moisturizers work on old scars? Also, can they be worn under make-up?

I noticed on your website that your clinic performs a number of treatments. Which have you find effective in treating old scars?

Thanks again.

Phil

AmerAmer

by AmerAmer on Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:21 am

Hi
I have read that silicone gel sheets are clinically proven to help reduce scarring but I was wondering if anyone has actually used them or know how effective they are practically?

Regards
Last edited by talkhealth on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed as forum rules do not allow posting of commercial links.

andrejones

by andrejones on Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:03 am

These creams are useless for most people. The treatment depends on how large your scar is, but in general, the best treatment for scars is having a plastic surgery with a good professional. It's more expensive, but the results are incredible. :)

WELLCOTT

by WELLCOTT on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:13 am

It removes some scars, but it also causes breakouts..but everyone is different..FOR ME DERMALMD SCAR SERUM IS BEST .

mariamel17

by mariamel17 on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:55 am

Even though in some cases it's impossible to completely get rid of scars, there are ways to reduce them. At first, you should hydrate properly the area to stimulate skin cells to regenerate. I've used dermalmd scar treatment for many scars and it has worked really well, I recommend it.

mariamel17

by mariamel17 on Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:37 am

What I've been using for scars is dermal md serum for scars, this has helped a lot and at the same time it nourishes and moisturizes my skin!!

14 posts