Chronic bladder issues and pain - worried about cancer

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
aes_4una

by aes_4una on Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Chronic bladder issues and pain - worried about cancer

Hello everyone,

I just joined this forum because of my current bladder issues that currently make my life miserable.
To start with, I am a 21 yo female with health anxiety.

My bladder issues started a few years ago (I don’t remember when exactly but I would say 4 to 5 years ago): I started to have moments when I would experience an urgency to pee, and when I went only little came and it was followed by extreme pain in my bladder. The pain and discomfort lasted for about 30 minutes and then went away. To make it go away I would drink a lot of water, which would make me go “normally” to the toilet and then it would be gone. This occurred maybe every two weeks and always at home, either when I was waking up first thing in the morning or when I was coming home from somewhere. I’ve never experienced this on vacation from what I can remember.

I’ve never talked to any doctor about it, as weird as it might seem, because for me it was something nervous (I’ve had health anxiety since November 2019 but I’ve always been an anxious person in general) and when I went to the doctor I never thought of telling him, I always forgot.

I’ve continued having this issue for 4/5 years, without worrying about it, when I started to finally worry about it in June this year.

I started thinking: what if what I’m experiencing is actually cancer and I’ve been thinking it’s nothing for years and I’ve actually got a cancer!

Since I started to get worried about it it has started to happen more often (sometimes twice a day) and it’s more painful than before. The pain and discomfort in the bladder sometimes lasts a few hours now.

I’ve finally talked about this issue with my OBGYN last week and she thought it was really weird, especially since I told her I had been having this issue for years. I had an ultrasound done and she said my bladder looked normal (I told her about my bladder cancer fears). She prescribed an antibiotic for a UTI which I’m sure I don’t have since this has been happening for years, it’s only been worse recently and the antibiotic didn’t do anything, I got the issue again today and my bladder is still hurting from it, which stresses me out soo much....

I don’t see what this issue could be, I’ve asked people around me (no one I know has ever had that) and looked online, but I don’t see a single disease or problem that causes these symptoms, apart maybe from bladder cancer which only makes me panic 1000x more!

So I’ve found this forum and I’m writing here in hope that someone can relate to these issues and reassure me... I’m really depressed and anxious about that at the moment!

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:33 am

Re: Chronic bladder issues and pain - worried about cancer

Hi aes_4una,

Thank you for posting on the forum and really sorry to hear of your bladder symptoms and how it is making you feel. Unfortunately we cannot diagnose conditions here, but you may want to see if it could possibly be interstitial cystitis which can get unfortunately get worse with stress. Please find some information here about it:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/interstitial-cystitis/

Maybe follow up with your Dr to see if it could be the above condition.

Do let us know how you get on. :)

Kind regards
talkhealth
talkhealth team
Read our health blog - http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/blog

3 posts