Hydrocephalus and bladder problems

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
judyp

by judyp on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:37 am

Hydrocephalus and bladder problems

Hello - I'm here really from a carer viewpoint. My brother has been been diagnosed with Hydrocephalus. This has had a major impact on his quality of life. He's only in his early 70's and yet he's like an old man. It's been a very traumatic and upsetting time as we've recently had to get him into sheltered accommodation which he had been reluctant to do.

One of the symptoms he experiences is the sudden urge to go to the toilet. He's incredibly slow on his feet and uses a zimmer frame. He hardly goes out but clearly has to for hospital appointments. I have suggested incontinence pads and on a couple of occasions he's agreed to wear them. Some occasions he refuses. His Hydrocephalus has affected his memory and sense of reason. It's all very sad.

Would be good to talk to others who may be coping with the issues associated with being a carer. I know i don't care for him full time but I do have to help him sort out his personal and financial stuff.

thanks.

MrJB

by MrJB on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:29 pm

Re: Hydrocephalus and bladder problems

Hello - I too have a sibling with bladder problems. I'm in my 70's and my sister is in her 80's. She lives at home and is all there - but is beginning to have bladder problems. I too get a bit cross with her so know how you feel. You're not on your own!

alison12

by alison12 on Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:23 pm

Hello to judyp and Mrjp - thank you for your posts. Its very easy to see just one side of problems of continence and to have a lot of sympathy for the person suffering from these issues, but there is also the other side as you both point out about caring. I am not a carer myself, but I can certainly see that sometimes the issues you described can be frustrating. It is intersting that you are both siblings of the people you describe...which I am sure is an added dimension as you will both remember your brother and sister as young people, when old age was something that happened to others and we were all fit!
alison12
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Bill Adder

by Bill Adder on Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Judyp!
If you are looking for a good source of information about Hydrocephalus, I would recommend taking a look at shinecharity.org.uk. It seems to be the new branding for what was once ASBAH (it's been a while since I scanned through their site) and they have a lot of helpful information about the various symptoms. You can also join feeds from the usual social media sites, which can give you an insight into how it feels to be living with the condition. This can help reduce the frustration when you are helping someone who can behave erraticaly at times.
I would also recommend keeping an eye on his fluid intake, as it's easy to get dehydrated when you are a bit confused, and that feeds back in to the confusion.
If he is reluctant to use pads, and is not having bowel issues, try looking into using a sheath and bag. If his confidence has been knocked, it is far less intrusive to drain a bag than it is to change a pad. This could also be done whilst he is sitting in his favourite chair (I'm assuming he has one. Everyone has a spot in the living room they favour as "home turf") so he will be closer to his comfort zone, and it won't require him to move to the bathroom. It could even be done while he is asleep, so there is no need to disturb him if he is resting.
If you can get in touch with the local continence nurse, they can be very helpful in arranging supplies and suggesting different options available to you.

Hope this helps, ;)

Bill.

judyp

by judyp on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:00 am

Hello MrJB and Bill

Thank you for your feedback. Bill I think a diary is a great idea plus I will talk to the continence nurse. My difficulty is that I'm not his full time carer BUT I think you've certainly covered some possible options I could talk to the nurse or GP about.

thank you both.

5 posts