getting treatment

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

12 posts
E

by E on Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:53 am

getting treatment

Hi all :)

incontinence is usually associated with older people but i'm 20 and have had stress incontinence for as long as i can remember. when i laugh too much, i leak. it's rarely happened when i cough but when i laugh it happens more often. i have had a couple of embarrassing situations and its taken a looong time for me to come to terms with and in a way get over the embarrassment.
Having said that there are still times when i get depressed and panicky about it. I found out about the condition over the internet and, especially as it didn't occur often, I thought that I would grow out of it and it would just disappear by itself.
I did go to the doctor about a year and a half ago but he examined me and said everything was fine with my pelvic muscles (which confused me) but if it happened again then come back. Nothing has happened since so I haven't been back. But I am constantly worried that I am going to be caught in an embarrassing situation again. I have found out that there is an incontinence clinic near me but I think I have to be referred by my doctor. Can i ask (or demand!) to be referred even if my doctor doesn't diagnose me? I don't really want my family to know either so if I am referred will it all be confidential?

thanks xx

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:03 am

Re: getting treatment

Hello E and welcome to the talkcontinence forum.

I think your experience is probably more common than you think and I hope you will find others to talk to here who may be able to provide you with information and support. I would definately go back to your GP and ask if you could be referred to the continence clinic. If it's worrying you that much I'm sure your GP will consider your request. Let us know how you get on.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

alison12

by alison12 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:33 am

Hello E. I think a lot of people will sympathise and empathise with your problem and will be particularly interested to see what your GP / clinic recommends. As I understand it everything that you discuss with your GP would be in confidence, so I am sure you will have no worries there. Just because you problem hasn't reoccurred recently I can understand that you are still very worried about it - and the potential embaressment of another occurance. I think going to a clinic where they can explain all the options that are available to manage such issues would be a great step forward for your own confidence and peace of mind. Good luck - and yes look forward to hearing how you get along!
alison12
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Bill Adder

by Bill Adder on Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:48 am

Hi E!
Take comfort in the fact you are already moving towards a solution, you are looking for information and are noticing the type and frequency of the problem you are having. Knowing a bit about it can help the conversation get going, and can help you to raise the right points and ask the right questions.
Don't panic if you don't feel comfortable talking to your GP, GP's are just people, and talking to some people is easier than talking to others. If you find it easier, you can ask to see the practice nurse, or to be referred to the local continence service or a urologist.
You don't have to deal with the whole thing at once. You can let the doctor know that you have been having problems, but don't have to go through the entire story on that visit. You can always organise a follow up appointment to cover the bulk of the information, giving you a chance to step outside and let your heart rate come down. Only do what you are comfortable with, you are entitled to set your own pace. The doctor should be understanding, and once you've got over the shock of actually saying something to someone, it can get a lot easier to give the follow up details.
If it helps, prepare a treat for afterwards, it's amazing how much this can boost happiness levels after stress. I set aside an afternoon, bought a book I wanted and curled up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a choccy bar. Made the whole experience easier to deal with.

I hope this goes some way towards easing the nerves a bit, and I can promise that you feel better once you've sought help.
The other posters will help you to feel that you are not alone, and may pitch in with a little moral support (we all need a bit every now and then). If you look at the number of posts compared to the number of views, you will see that many others are dealing with the same problems but may not yet have the courage to acknowledge the problem or seek advice.
You have taken the first step, and that's the hardest one. It gets easier. Trust me 8-)

All the best,

Bill.

E

by E on Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:56 pm

Thank you for the lovely comments, they really helped give me confidence before going to the doctors. I had my appointment today and it went well. I was very nervous in the waiting room but talking about it and actually expressing my concern was easier than I thought as I'd been keeping it bottled up for a while! She was very understanding and the only shock she expressed was that id suffered so long and not done anything about it. I was told to do kegel exercises more often and really try to step it up to improve my pelvic floor muscles. She also said that the problem could be something to do with my bladder not being able to hold fluid for a long time so prescribed some medication too, fingers crossed it will work. As for the treat I gave myself the rest of the day to chill and went to the cinema tonight :). I'm starting both treatments tomorrow so I will update on how it goes.

Xxx

Bill Adder

by Bill Adder on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:36 am

Well done E!

That's the hardest part over with. ;) I hope the film was good :D
Remember, the treatments can take a while before the effects kick in, so try to be patient with them. In the meantime, if you have any further problems, it will be easier to talk to your doctor :P

Bill.

cheshirecat

by cheshirecat on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:29 pm

IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TVT AND MESH PROCEDURES FOR STRESS INCONTINENCE?

Hi - I've been diagnosed with stress incontinence and it has been suggested I have the TVT (Trans-Vaginal Tape) procedure. It has all been explained to me, but since then I have read two articles in the press about women in agonising pain following a similar operation. The first was 'incontinence op that's ruining women's lives' (Daily Mail Good Health section August 16th 2011) and the more recent one was in the Liverpool Echo on 5th April about 'St Helens mum left in agony by medical mesh launches campaign to save others'.

Obviously I don't want to go through anything like these ladies have. Could anyone explain the differences to me please?

cheshirecat

by cheshirecat on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:54 pm

Sorry - I've just started a new topic for the TVT question called 'TVT FOR STRESS INCONTINENCE - IS IT SAFE?'

E

by E on Sun May 27, 2012 10:19 am

Hi all, so for a few weeks i went on some medication for an overactive bladder and it seemed to work: I was able to hold more in my bladder before I had to go and so felt more able to hold it in if i was under stress like laughing. I however didn't like the side effects. I would become irritated and tired, i had hot flushes and at some points my face would flush bright red for no reason which is hard to cover up! But I had some confidence from the treatment. I've decided to continue with just pelvic floor exercises and, since i've stepped it up, i can now feel that my pelvic floor is stronger which i didn't before. I've also discovered that doing them whenever i go to the toilet makes me remember as I often forget in the morning or just before going to bed as i'm either in a rush or too tired. Hope this has helped some of you. xxx

Tim

by Tim on Sun May 27, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi E,
Unfortunately your situation is very common, but most suffer in silence and the trauma becomes worse therefore making the whole condition much harder to treat - but you have taken the first step.. Well done, do keep up the pelvic floor exercises and also you can self refer to your local continence clinic, they are very knowledgable indeed also You might want to try the B&BF helpline.

BW
Timx

12 posts