Catheter bag not draining

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
clcclc123

by clcclc123 on Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:05 pm

Catheter bag not draining

My mum has an indwelling catheter and for the past few months we've been struggling with what we presumed were blockages. However I have come to realise that the issue is that the urine is not managing to drain into the bag itself. If we disconnect the bag urine drains out fine from the catheter itself, but as soon as we connect a bag it stops flowing completely. She is bed bound so uses a night bag only. I have seen people mention putting air into the bag to stop any air lock/pressure build up but this doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone else experienced this problem. She uses the coloplast simpla 2L night bags.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:36 pm

Re: Catheter bag not draining

Hi clcclc123,

Thank you for the post and welcome to the talkhealth forums.

We're sorry to hear about the problems your mum is currently having. Have she been back to see her GP, they may be able to assess the situation and provide a way to resolve the issue.

Do let us know how you get on.

Thanks,
The talkhealth Team
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Prycejosh1987

by Prycejosh1987 on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:32 pm

Re: Catheter bag not draining

clcclc123 wrote:
Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:05 pm
My mum has an indwelling catheter and for the past few months we've been struggling with what we presumed were blockages. However I have come to realise that the issue is that the urine is not managing to drain into the bag itself. If we disconnect the bag urine drains out fine from the catheter itself, but as soon as we connect a bag it stops flowing completely. She is bed bound so uses a night bag only. I have seen people mention putting air into the bag to stop any air lock/pressure build up but this doesn't seem to be working. Has anyone else experienced this problem. She uses the coloplast simpla 2L night bags.
I think you are right and its blockages.

3 posts