Greetings!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Bill Adder

by Bill Adder on Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:35 am

Greetings!

Hello to all on the forum, both posters and interested readers.
I'm Bill, I've been having bladder problems for a few years now, and recently plucked up the courage to speak to my doctor about it. I'll not lie, there's been ups and downs since then, but doing that has helped me to feel more comfortable discussing the issue. What helped me most along the first steps of this journey was the information I found on forums, and the sense of community there. Just knowing that others were dealing with the same issues, the same day to day situations. There was a great wealth of posts to tell you what it's like having proceedures done or different courses of meds from the patient perspective (not always as it said in the brochure!). Being able to learn about the condition meant that the first time you mention it to the doctor (the image of panic and embarassment still spring to mind when I think of it) is a bit easier. You know what symptoms to look for, and what information the doctor will need to help you. And using the correct medical names for areas of the body can be a lot less embarassing, a meatus could be a special offer pizza for all most people know, so it's like using a secret language :geek: .
As the posters on the forums I read shared their experiences with me (though I never plucked up the courage to post myself) and helped me to understand the problem I was having; I thought it was time to put something back in. I know that looking up a condition on the net is the easy part, but sifting through half the internet for the helpful bits can take a lot of time.
I'll say from the start that I am not a doctor. And that it is always good advice to talk to a doctor as soon as practical if you have a health concern. But sometimes having that little bit of information up front can make it a lot easier to open the topic.
I hope this forum will be long lasting, most of the ones where I sought help have closed down or become pay sites, and a lot of the information was useful even years after it was posted.
My posting may be a touch erratic as I'm a bit up and down at the moment, but will try to offer a bit of support as often as I can.

Apologies for the long winded post, I'll try and rein it in for future posts :)

Bill.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Greetings!

Hello Bill and a really warm welcome to our forums.

It's so beneficial for others to read stories like yours. I'm sure you will be of great support and help to the people who are on this forum now and those who will join in the future. I also hope that when you're down rather than up our forums might be able to help you too!

It's also great that you're happy to openly share your experiences in order to help others. Any little pearls of wisdom you can pass on to people who are either struggling to cope with continence issues or new to such problems would really be appreciated.

We look forward to talking with you more.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

alison12

by alison12 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:47 pm

Hi Bill - just wanted to say hello too! I've had a good read of your posts and they are really encouraging. I totally agree that as always there seem to be lots of views and only a few posts....shame. However I have to say that I have been guilty of that as well in the past. It took me ages to start posting on a forum - I used to read lots of posts and think that was good or that was bad but never did anything. Now I've decided to try and be a little more active and have found that I have actually enjoy writing and also hope that I what I write might actually be of interest and more importantly help someone.
alison12
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

Bill Adder

by Bill Adder on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Hi Alison12,
Thanks for taking the time to read my posts, and to let me know that you've found them helpful. It does take a fair bit of time to compose some of them, as I don't want to say anything that could be misunderstood and cause someone more strife. But it does seem to be addictive ;)
Once you get over the initial panic, being able to connect with others that are able to understand how these problems can make you feel is somewhat liberating. I read many messages by people who were joyous at being able to vent a bit of steam to an understanding audience, but never realised how theraputic it can be.

Anywho, I'm getting a bit verbose. Time for a cup of tea.

Look forward to further posts,

Bill. :)

alison12

by alison12 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi Bill - yes it certainly does take quite a bit of time - when I've been on realise an hour as disappeared without even noticing. My biggest problem is my spelling mistakes if not careful and then realising I've wondered off from what I was meant to be writing about in the first place! I agree it does take a while to try and word everything properly, without sounding pompous and also to try and make it clear that I'm certainly no medical expert, but do have some experiences that I hope others will benefit from. I have found it best to try and write how I talk, but not always too successful with that. What I do believe is that forums really show others that there are people out there with similar issues and all the same worries etc and that you/one is not alone which I think is hugely heartening. Especially as sometimes when you are talking to doctors etc you feel that you are the only person in the world to have such problems. What I also find so amazing is that some really obvious helpful day to day hints of living with a condition clearly by-pass the medical profession and thus reason why I think forums and blogs are so helpful as issues are put into a day to day helpful context. :D
alison12
Forum Moderator
talkhealth moderation team

5 posts