Cystitis symptoms with no infection

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
ccrider

by ccrider on Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Cystitis symptoms with no infection

I would like to know whether anyone out there suffers from cystitis symptoms but is found to have no infection when testing. This has been happening to me every few months for the last three or four years. The symptoms only last six to eight hours but that is six to eight hours of hell as many of you will know. A male GP tried to fob me off with the explanation that "it's very common among women of your age and you will just have to put up with it". A female GP is taking it more seriously. I have had two cystoscopies and my bladder looks normal. I was told my urethra is narrow and the cystoscopy would help my problem, but it didn't. I am late 50s age so menopausal. The female GP tried me on HRT cream for 2 months but it didn't help. I am willing to try anything but the consultant who did the cystoscopies could not suggest anything e.g. supplements, what to drink or not to drink, what to eat or not to eat etc. Any suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:50 am

Re: Cystitis symptoms with no infection

Hi ccrider and welcome to our forums. Cystitis is awful and it's strange that you are experiencing the symptoms but there is no infection. I would definitely try to see another doctor perhaps .... also, I know it's a long way off, but from 6-12 March 2013 we are running another talkhealth/NHS Choices online clinic on gynaecology - a panel of medical experts will be on hand to answer questions in this forum-based clinic. I really hope you manage to sort things before then however. Also, I hope others in this forum will be able to offer some insights.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

ccrider

by ccrider on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:50 pm

I'm pleased to advise that this is at least now being taken seriously and I am going for a CT scan next week. They have also given me some pre-printed sample pots and tickets so that I can give a sample in for analysis as and when I get the symptoms and not a week later when I get a GP appointment.

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:33 am

Hello ccrider -that is good news. We hope all goes well - let us know how you get on.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

ccrider

by ccrider on Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:29 pm

I had my CT scan which showed nothing untoward (except a possible ovarian cyst, but that's another story) and now waiting for an ultrasound scan in about three weeks. Fortuitously my symptoms returned so I took my sample straight to the hospital urology outpatients department, where it was tested and found to show an infection. Took a week of antibiotics and submitted another sample to see if it has cleared. Now waiting to hear back about that. So the chances are that some of the times I had symptoms, I did actually have an infection, but the fact that they have subsided in a day without having taken antibiotics is still rather odd. Because I had been told on two occasions that there was no infection, and because it takes so long to get a GP appointment that you are generally better by the time you get there, I had not submitted samples so had no way of knowing whether I had an infection or not. The story continues ...

B&BF

by B&BF on Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:58 pm

Hello

Have you taken a look at this page of the Bladder and Bowel Foundations website http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.or ... stitis.asp you may find the information on diet helpful.
The Bladder & Bowel Foundation (B&BF)

Helpline: 0845 345 0165
General enquiries: 01536 533255
Email: info@bladderandbowelfoundation.org
http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org

ccrider

by ccrider on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks for the info, the phrase "desperation and despair" rang loud bells as this is how I feel when I have my symptoms. I have printed the details and will take them with me to my next hospital appointment which is in a couple of weeks. I had my ultrasound scan in which they seemed more interested in the cyst than my bladder but will see what the consultant has to say. In the meanwhile I got a letter from the consultant suggesting that I start a long course of antibiotics, three months on one type then three months on another type then three months on a third type. This might seem a bit extreme but I am desperate. If the symptoms return during these 9 months then I will push them on the PB/IC route and see what they suggest.

7 posts