suprapubic catheters

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

10 posts
caz59

by caz59 on Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:20 pm

suprapubic catheters

Hello, i am new to this forum. I have had bladder probs for over 10 years and have had a supra pubic catheter for 4 years. Prior to this i had a colposusspension in 2002. Bladder control went downhill from then on. Ive had 2 cyscostopys been on all the anti spasm meds without any success. And so, looks like i'm stuck with the catheter. On my last visit to urology consultant, was told i had to accept this even though he could not tell me why my bladder had decided not to work, he just said it was knackered, charming! I asked if he could look into botox injections, the answer i got for that was, botox is only used on people with serious bladder probs. My question is: how serious is serious. I have numerous med probs, on loads of meds for various medical probs, have Lupus,heart trouble and osteoarthritis. Dont feel i am getting the help and support i need, just something else to contend with. I am going to see consultant next week and will probably tell him that there is no point in me coming to clinic anymore as nothing is being done to help me. Has anyone expierienced this sort of attitude as i feel totally alone on this. Thanks x :?

talkhealth

by talkhealth on Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:45 am

Re: suprapubic catheters

Hello Caz and welcome to our forums. Sounds like you've had a tough time. I do hope members in our continence forums will be able to offer you some support.
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

B&BF

by B&BF on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:48 pm

Hello Caz

On the Bladder and Bowel Foundation's website there is information about the Botox procedure that you might find useful. If you follow this link you can view it http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.or ... -toxin.asp.

They also have a Helpline which you might find useful for advice. You can ring them on 0845 345 0165.
The Bladder & Bowel Foundation (B&BF)

Helpline: 0845 345 0165
General enquiries: 01536 533255
Email: info@bladderandbowelfoundation.org
http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org

LadyMeri

by LadyMeri on Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi not sure if you still around but I just had suprapubic ctaheter fitted and wanted to telk to soemone else with this.

Are you still a member?

caz59

by caz59 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi LadyMeri. Yes i am still on this site. If you want to talk more about supra pubic catheters and you feel you would like to talk in private please private message me. Caz59 :)

gw0gvq43

by gw0gvq43 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:26 am

I am contemplating a supra pubic catheter because at the moment I self intermittent catheterise but I was thinking of using a flip flow during the day, has anybody got one ? If so how off ten has it got to be emptied ie. the valve released and what is ' drinking plenty' in amounts please and is there any drink that is better than another I've heard conflicting views as to wether Cranberry Juice should be drink all the time. I would appreciate these questions answered please to allay any fears I may have had as to conflicting stories. Paul

caz59

by caz59 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:51 pm

Hi Paul. I have had a supra pubic catheter coming up 5 years. Previous to that I had 10 years of tests as why my bladder wouldn't work properly. I had a bladder lift but, that failed, in fact I think it made it worse.
I struggled on but it got to the point that I was exhausted from no sleep and no control what so ever of my bladder. I did try the flip flow valve, but again, I was running to the loo every 5 minutes as I felt the urge to go a lot. The docs told me I had a really sensitive twitchy bladder. Any way I now have a supra pubic catheter, it hasn't been with out its problems eg: bladder infections, the catheter blocking and having to be changed or having the bladder washed out and learning to live with a long term catheter.
I have got used to it now and would not go back to what I was going through 5 years ago.
I did try drinking cranberry juice for a while, I didn't find it helped with keeping water infections away for me, it may be different for you, give it a go. I cant drink it anymore anyway as I have been put on a blood thinner Warfarin and apparently cranberry juice interacts with Warfarin hey ho!
As regards to how much you should drink, I try to drink 2 litres of fluid ie: water, tea decaff, coffee decaff, fruit juices. I don't drink fizzy drinks ie: cola, lemonade ect in that 2 litres, mainly, because of the sugar content. I hoped I have helped you in some way Paul. All the best.
caz59.

gw0gvq43

by gw0gvq43 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Thanks Caz I wasn't sure on the volume to drink because I have been told 4 litres by some and that its better to have a leg bag than a flip flow because its continuously draining etc , Regarding a Supra Pubic I am ok in as much as I'm a wheelchair user but isn't it more awkward to have a leg bag for instance than a flip flo if your walking ? because I would think the catheter would pull etc. But thats me lol I've not had one yet because I'm still self catheterising, the only reason I think the Dr. suggested it was because self catheterising I've been having a lot of UTI's and I was told with a supra pubic I may not be as bill and a supra pubic over an indwelling catheter in the penis is easier to keep clean. Paul

speedy1976

by speedy1976 on Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 am

I too am considering the suprapubic catheter have had testing done and go to doctor Monday to find out results I was just wondering if someone who has had this done could tell me how this affects your sex life or if sex is possible after a suprapubic catheter placement? :?:

B&BF

by B&BF on Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:38 pm

Dear Speedy

The Bladder and Bowel Foundation helpline should be able to answer questions that you may have about catheters. Tel: 0845 345 0165.

There is also a very helpful page on our site https://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.o ... -catheter/
The Bladder & Bowel Foundation (B&BF)

Helpline: 0845 345 0165
General enquiries: 01536 533255
Email: info@bladderandbowelfoundation.org
http://www.bladderandbowelfoundation.org

10 posts