Suprapubic catheter

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
LadyMeri

by LadyMeri on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 pm

Suprapubic catheter

Hi all I am new to this forum, two weeks ago had Suprapubic ctaheter fitted due to urinary retention and nueropathic bladder.

Its been really difficult and painful process and wondered if anyone here had one?

skycomputing

by skycomputing on Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:55 pm

Re: Suprapubic catheter

Hi

I am waiting to have one fitted, and i hope it will help with my symptoms. I have been told that it will take a bit of getting use to, but once there, it will improve you life.

Stick to it!

wolfram75

by wolfram75 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 am

Hi!

I also recently had suprapubic catheter inserted in prep for a more extensive reconstructive surgery. It has also been a challenging transition. LadyMeri, it gets easier. Don't forget that your body considers the catheter a foreign body and will fight back for the first few weeks.

Today I switched from a leg bag to a stopper, which I am absolutely ecstatic about! The bag at work was aweful. As a result of using a bag for almost a month, my bladder has shrunken quite a bit. I am finding it difficult to not empty every hour. Any recommendations on how to ease my bladder back to its normal size?

Thanks!

elliebb30

by elliebb30 on Fri May 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi
I have MS and have been self cathing for 12 months but am having a suprapubic fitted on Monday.I was realy hoping it would make life easier .
Ellie xx

jerrysmith677

by jerrysmith677 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:14 pm

Hi..! I know this is a very painful process. My mother was suggested for the same. Although she cured incontinence without any surgery. It will be well soon. If not, get to your doctor as soon as possible. If you are bothered with urine leaks, use incontinence pads.
Last edited by admin on Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: URL removed as advertising products - advertising not permitted in these forums. See forum rules.

pammipayne42

by pammipayne42 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 am

Hello Everyone,

I have had a supra-pubic catheter going on three years now, and I have also self catheterized in the past. I have had bladder issues for 27 years. I have a neuropathic bladder,bladder spasms so powerful that they can and have ejected my supra-pubic. I have botox injections, bladder stretch and urethral dilatation every six months.

I am allergic to most antibiotics, I have re-current infections both upper and lower. I have had sepsis 3 times... In my opinion the supra-pubic allows for greater independence, you can start with a bag but I have found this shrinks the bladder and makes for difficulties in holding a decent sized amount of urine. My advice is apply a 'FLIP FLOW VALVE' to the end of the catheter, its basically a tap. You open it when you need a wee and close afterwards. Change them every 7 days to avoid infection transfer. You can simply place the tap inside your underwear. It beats carrying around a sloshing bag of wee... :lol:

Also the key is drink plenty of fluids to maintain good kidney flushing and helps with keeping infections down. I have found that a dressing on your tummy helps to avoid pulling of the tube and soak up the yellow discharge I get. They say it only lasts while the tube settles that is not true for me.. it never has settled. Things to be concerned about: see a practice nurse or GP if you get poor flow, shivers or large discomfort this can all be signs of infection. I am very clean and careful but infections cannot always be avoided, you must remember that it is a foreign body and your body will not welcome it.. But it should settle in 2-6 weeks depending on your own bodies responses.... I am unlucky in that I am allergic to penicillin and many uro related antibiotics.... Rule of thumb if you are concerned speak to a medical professional or your consultant... remember don't suffer in silence... Pam. x

6 posts