Something New is working!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
here4dad

by here4dad on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Something New is working!

Hi there. I am new to the group so let me start off by saying thank you for welcoming me. I have been taking care of my dad since he was disabled 6 years ago and then diagnosed with prostate cancer 8 months ago. They performed a radical prostatectomy that unfortunately left my dad incontinent. We tried everything from condom catheters (that left his skin wet and caused breakdown and UTIS) then we tried diapers and pads, this was extremely difficult for me and or the caregiver to be changing him all the time being disabled, not to mention that he was always sitting in his own urine which caused him to develop sores on his buttocks. I scoured the internet for something else, something different. There where barbaric looking things like the clamp and plastic funnel looking contraption but nothing looked to be a good solution for dad... and me. I attended a health fair and noticed a booth there for a new bladder management system by Omni. Intrigued, I went over to speak with the company's representative. We spoke at length about my dad's situation and my predicament. He then showed me a demonstration on how this device works and I was sold! My dad is a Veteran so I took him to his VA doctor and told him about the device. His urologist prescribed the device and it was covered by dad's VA benefits 100%! My dad has been using Omni's system for 4 months now and I don't know what I would do without it! I don't know what more people don't know about it! They are currently working on the female version so that should be very well anticipated, I would imagine in this community. I am telling you this because if it can do what it did for me and my family by helping you or someone you know have more freedom and stay healthy, my job is done! I am happy to speak about my experience with it in more detail if anyone is interested or if you want to see it for itself, they have a pretty good website. VAbladder.com. The really neat thing about it is that it was originally devolved for the military!